starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with programming my Squat

Default Help with programming my Squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    First, sorry for the long drawn out post but I wanted to paint the full picture.

So I'm not sure the best way to handle my squat programming after a tough few weeks. I'm currently running a 4 day texas method split since October and I'm 5'10" and weight is at 200-205 pounds. I've been eating about 3200 cals a day with about a weekly binge of an extra 1000-1500 calories from going out to eat dinner. Getting at least 200g protein in a day.

Here's a breakdown of my last few weeks of training.

Week 1
    Squat Intensity Day 340x5

Squat Volume Day 285x5x5

Week 2
    Squat Intensity Day 345x5

Squat Volume Day 290x5x5--- I posted a form check after this workout and my form was tweaked slightly. Here's a link to the thread if you're interested.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=54276

Week 3
    Squat Intensity Day 350x4 -tried to use new form, didn't quite have it down.

Squat Volume Day 295x5x5 -getting more used to new form

Week 4
    Squat Intensity Day 355x2-I really thought I would rebound and hit 5 reps here. But a lot of drinking last night and I woke up with a little hangover. I felt loose in the bottom of my squat also, so form wasn't on point. Also the previous 2 days I was having a really tough time with my sciatic, but it was healed up today.

Squat Volume Day ????

So I know that my ratio of VD to ID is low, but I do my volume squats after my weekly Deads and I pretty much feel like I'm gonna die by the end of that workout.

My question is what should I do with my upcoming Volume and Intensity Day this week? Should I keep it the Volume Day the same and repeat 295x5x5? Step up to 300x5x5?

Also what should be my goal next week on Intensity Day? 355x5? 355x3 for 2 sets?

I appreciate any thoughts

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jayshort21 View Post
    First, sorry for the long drawn out post but I wanted to paint the full picture.

So I'm not sure the best way to handle my squat programming after a tough few weeks. I'm currently running a 4 day texas method split since October and I'm 5'10" and weight is at 200-205 pounds. I've been eating about 3200 cals a day with about a weekly binge of an extra 1000-1500 calories from going out to eat dinner. Getting at least 200g protein in a day.

Here's a breakdown of my last few weeks of training.

Week 1
    Squat Intensity Day 340x5

Squat Volume Day 285x5x5

Week 2
    Squat Intensity Day 345x5

Squat Volume Day 290x5x5--- I posted a form check after this workout and my form was tweaked slightly. Here's a link to the thread if you're interested.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=54276

Week 3
    Squat Intensity Day 350x4 -tried to use new form, didn't quite have it down.

Squat Volume Day 295x5x5 -getting more used to new form

Week 4
    Squat Intensity Day 355x2-I really thought I would rebound and hit 5 reps here. But a lot of drinking last night and I woke up with a little hangover. I felt loose in the bottom of my squat also, so form wasn't on point. Also the previous 2 days I was having a really tough time with my sciatic, but it was healed up today.

Squat Volume Day ????

So I know that my ratio of VD to ID is low, but I do my volume squats after my weekly Deads and I pretty much feel like I'm gonna die by the end of that workout.

My question is what should I do with my upcoming Volume and Intensity Day this week? Should I keep it the Volume Day the same and repeat 295x5x5? Step up to 300x5x5?

Also what should be my goal next week on Intensity Day? 355x5? 355x3 for 2 sets?

I appreciate any thoughts

Thanks.
    300 and 350. Why would you do anything else?

I dunno I guess I was thinking that stepping up to 300 would tire me out. Probably just scared of 300x5x5 LOL

Interesting you recommend to drop intensity day down to 350 instead of 355. I guess it's easier take it slow but I'm eager to either hit 355x5 or drop intensity day to tripled and keep progressing. All I've ever trained with is 5s so I'm anxious.

I dunno I guess I was thinking that stepping up to 300 would tire me out. Probably just scared of 300x5x5 LOL

Interesting you recommend to drop intensity day down to 350 instead of 355. I guess it's easier take it slow but I'm eager to either hit 355x5 or drop intensity day to tripled and keep progressing. All I've ever trained with is 5s so I'm anxious.
    Didn't you miss your fifth rep at 350 because you were adjusting to form tweaks? If you missed it because you weren't strong enough, go to 355 and do 4's or 3's. Stop being afraid of 300. Be afraid of 400.

Ya that's why I missed it. You're right I'm gonna take it slow and nail 300x5x5 and 350x5 this week. That will probably help even out my VD to ID ratio also.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
    A little distance of perspective can really help make the obvious stand out sometimes. Now go nail all your sets next week and keep that bar weight moving up!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    A little distance of perspective can really help make the obvious stand out sometimes. Now go nail all your sets next week and keep that bar weight moving up!
    /high-five

Ya sounds good to me! Thanks for taking a look.

That will probably help even out my VD to ID ratio also.
    There's an awful lot of worrying about ratios of this and that on the boards. Isn't the important thing adding weight to bar and thinking about how to do that rather than worrying about X:Y?

starting strength coach development program
    I don't want to push VD too high an be under recovered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast