starting strength gym

Thread: Back rehab

Default Back rehab

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    First just want to thank coaches for help I've been given and the ss method for getting me strongish.
    I will do this thread in bullet points just to make it easier to read.
    -5"7 198 25 years old male.
    -First meet.
    -crazy pain after squat attempt ( no form break no grind was opener)
    -unable to bend down. Couldn't even dl 135 ( had to settle for very very painful 400 opener which left me limping for a good 15 minutes)without stabbing pain.
    -pain shooting down from right spinal erector down right hamstring. No numbness. No bruising
    How do I rehab this since I want to compete again?
    Thanks in advance apologies for repeated inquiry

You probably pissed a disc off. Potentially herniated it. Welcome to the club. I would not have pulled 400 on it, if I were you. For the first few days, take it easy. Lots of ibuprofen. After three days, start walking. See if you can squat the empty bar. Read Mac Ward's article on this site about disc herniation.

Back Rehab: A Case Study | Mac Ward

Back Injuries with Mac Ward | Starting Strength Podcast - YouTube

Back injuries suck and your next weeks and/or months may not be much fun. You will heal through movement and lifting, but don't be stupid. Provide it as much work as you can without making it worse. Heal this thing up and you will come back stronger.

I really shouldn't have pulled that 400 but it was my first comp and really wanted a total.
    Finally can squat ( did 300 3x10 as per bill starr rehab )with no pain and bend down with relatively no discomfort.

Can't deadlift at all though even 100 lbs hurt. I can deadlift sumo with no pain but unsure if that's wise since it's a different move ,plus sumo is pretty embarrassing. Guess ill be patient thanks for the links.

Last I checked the Starr rehab did not call for 300 lbs for three sets of ten. Don't do shit that hurts real bad. If you can squat, great. Sometimes deadlift comes back before the squat, sometimes it is the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Last I checked the Starr rehab did not call for 300 lbs for three sets of ten. Don't do shit that hurts real bad. If you can squat, great. Sometimes deadlift comes back before the squat, sometimes it is the other way around.
    I thought that you were supposed to do 20-25 reps 3 sets for 10 days and adding 10-20 lbs every day then you go for 3 sets of 15 into 10 into 5. My volume max is 370 5x5 and 1 rm is 430 . I suppose the aim is rehab not stress.

Point taken on deadlift ill just be patient.

From what you first wrote, it sounded like you started with 300 for sets of 10. I may have misunderstood that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbrother24 View Post
    I really shouldn't have pulled that 400 but it was my first comp and really wanted a total.
    Finally can squat ( did 300 3x10 as per bill starr rehab )with no pain and bend down with relatively no discomfort.

Can't deadlift at all though even 100 lbs hurt. I can deadlift sumo with no pain but unsure if that's wise since it's a different move ,plus sumo is pretty embarrassing. Guess ill be patient thanks for the links.
    Something that I have done successfully with patients who could not tolerate pulling from the floor is starting them out with rack pulls. Over time, I gradually lower the pin height until they are able to get into the correct starting position without pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbrother24 View Post
    You need to think about the bigger picture. Powerlifting is a recreational endeavor. There is no money to be made from it. No one really cares about it. It is dead boring to watch. That does not mean it is not fun to compete and set PRs, but whether you total or not is truly an irrelevancy. You are going to have your back for the rest of your life. You are displaying awful decision-making ability if you suffer a back injury and continue to lift on it. This is doubly true when there is not a significant sum money on the line. Be smart about this shit. If your back tells you something, listen. Tell anyone else who advises you differently to fuck off. Getting strong is important and it is good for you. Willfully injuring yourself so that you can total is not.

Just jumping in to say that I herniated a disc about a year and a half ago, sounds very similar to what happened to you, and once I was able to walk/bend over again I did light deads only for 2 months. That shit works. I was a not-very-strong lady so I was doing sets of 10-15 at 65 for like a month. Regardless -- it works. I was convinced I was permanently damaged, at the time. Heed these smart folks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    Something that I have done successfully with patients who could not tolerate pulling from the floor is starting them out with rack pulls. Over time, I gradually lower the pin height until they are able to get into the correct starting position without pain.
    Tried this out felt slightly unusual but no pain with 135 for few reps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You need to think about the bigger picture. Powerlifting is a recreational endeavor. There is no money to be made from it. No one really cares about it. It is dead boring to watch. That does not mean it is not fun to compete and set PRs, but whether you total or not is truly an irrelevancy. You are going to have your back for the rest of your life. You are displaying awful decision-making ability if you suffer a back injury and continue to lift on it. This is doubly true when there is not a significant sum money on the line. Be smart about this shit. If your back tells you something, listen. Tell anyone else who advises you differently to fuck off. Getting strong is important and it is good for you. Willfully injuring yourself so that you can total is not.
    In hindsight I regret it however at the time just didn't expect this especially since never had back problems other than a tweak here and there which got fixed in 2-3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by anniemichael View Post
    Just jumping in to say that I herniated a disc about a year and a half ago, sounds very similar to what happened to you, and once I was able to walk/bend over again I did light deads only for 2 months. That shit works. I was a not-very-strong lady so I was doing sets of 10-15 at 65 for like a month. Regardless -- it works. I was convinced I was permanently damaged, at the time. Heed these smart folks.
    Thank you, glad you recovered, that's the plan though just take it easy and listen to what the coaches are saying and planning to go to one of the seminars once work eases off.