starting strength gym

Thread: "Roughly hip height": while standing, or sitting?

Default "Roughly hip height": while standing, or sitting?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    The form check sticky says to film at roughly hip height. Do you mean hip height while standing, or sitting? Do you think it makes any difference?

I ask because I have both options. The tallest plyo box at my gym is roughly my hip height while I'm standing. A flat bench is roughly my hip height while I'm sitting (or squatting).

When I use the tallest plyo box, my squats look high(er) than from the flat bench. This video was taken with the tall plyo box:

SQ 240x5 11/18/16 - YouTube

I do realize that it's possible my squats look high because they ARE high, regardless of filming height. Thanks for your help.

Hip height when standing works nicely. In general your squats look good, but you are correct, you are missing depth by a little. Drive your knees out a little more and stay off your toes. That should get you depth. Otherwise, your squats look pretty good.

I was just at your gym this weekend. Great facility. Squatting heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Hip height when standing works nicely. In general your squats look good, but you are correct, you are missing depth by a little. Drive your knees out a little more and stay off your toes. That should get you depth. Otherwise, your squats look pretty good.
    Thanks. I'll repeat that weight next time and stick with that tall plyo box, if I video SQ. Yes, I do feel like I get on my toes. Steve, Darren, and most recently Niki get the credit for coaching anything good about my SQ.

I know! I wanted to do the seminar but a root canal and a new hot water heater ate into that hope and dream.

That hot water heater is in the garage I used to do all my training in. You're right, Atlanta Barbell is squatting and training heaven, and there's no way I progress as much in my garage, minus the perspective and coaching the gym offers. In the spirit of the season, I am very thankful.