starting strength gym

Thread: bodyfat percentage question concerning a clarification

Default bodyfat percentage question concerning a clarification

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First of all sorry if this is getting repetitive but I didn't see anything via search function that answers the question. Say you have a bodyfat of 18-20%, are you saying that you really should no longer need the high calorie gomad diet in order to build muscle. For instance I am 180 pounds 5'10" 18.5% bodyfat so without steroids there is no way I'm going to add much more muscle without getting fat right?

You'll be able to add more muscle, but this will be accompanied with a bit of fat gain as well although your BF percentage may or may not change depending on how efficient your individual genetics/physiology and training stimulus is. You will likely be able to get up to at least 200lbs at 18.5% BF, which represents a gain in both lean body mass AND body fat, but not a relative increase in body fat. From an aesthetics point of view, you'll look more impressive at a heavier bodyweight with the same body fat. On the other hand, it's possible that you as a individual are inefficient at adding LBM and you might start to accrue more bodyfat than LBM for a given amount of weight gained (say you got up to 200 at 21% BF). With that being said, it's been my experience that if your diet is on point and the necessary tweaks are employed this process can be pretty damn efficiently to gain LBM without too much of it being fat.

Just an aside, a lot of people like to claim that they just get fat when they add calories to the equation. It's been my experience that most of the time, they're diets ARE NOT ON POINT with respect to macros/cals/nutrient timing and they're not doing any worthwhile conditioning efforts either. I'm not saying this happens 100% of the time, but most of the damn time.

An excellent response. Thank you. I'm sure I will get some more info on this when I attempt to go see Mr. Baker one day soon.