starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello coaches - would really appreciate it if you could check my squat form:

Set 1 (45 degree view): YouTube
    Set 2 (from the back): YouTube
    Set 3 (from the side): YouTube

M/27/6'4"/83kg, squat is 120kg, on week 10 of SSLP. My grip is weird, but I found that it works for me - my shoulder flexibility is limiting me from doing a proper thumb-around grip and I was getting golfer's elbow before, which I don't any more.

Hi Victor,

Your grip is weird. I want you to work on your shoulder flexibility. This isn't a long-term solution. Do this stretch, and don't cheat on it. Keep your wrists straight and stretch enough to make it hurt. Low Bar Position Stretch | Paul Horn

The squat itself--you are coming down with a too-vertical torso and then flopping forward on the way up. The cure to this is to get your chest down between your knees on the way down. Get your back angle set correctly so that you don't have to correct it (and then over-correct it) on the way up. Three things move at the beginning of the squat: chest down, knees out, hips back. You are moving your chest a little, your hips enough, but your knees not enough. Get all three moving at the same time. It's just like a vertical jump. Take your squat stance and jump. See how all three move at the same time, chest/knees/hips? Do the same thing when you squat, and then get bent over.

Probably ought to be eating, too.