starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squats & Knee Pain

Default Squats & Knee Pain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Mark,
    I apologise for wasting your time with yet another squat check but I would really appreciate your expert assessment. I posted some videos in the technique section of the board and a number of members suggested that aside from a slight knee wobble my squats looked solid. I however have not convinced as I have recently been experiencing pain in my right knee cap. The symptoms appear to be very similar to that of patellofemoral pain syndrome (tender to touch, aching pain when driving long distances yet very little pain while actually squatting).

I was hoping you could look at a couple of my latest sets.

320lbs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEHzwHbcBUM
    325lbs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ynFU-ZacA

I am anticipating that you will say my knees are coming too far forward and that I should learn to squat with more vertical shins. However I have genuinely tried this several times and seem unable to do so even at light weights. What would you recommend? Would you say it is definitely PFPS or possibly just the normal aches and pains that I should expect? Is it possible that my anthropometry makes squatting with more vertical shins difficult?

Thanks for your time.

These squats look pretty good, with just a little forward movement that would not destroy anyone's knees. Without seeing the other angles, I can't say what else might account for your pain, except to say that sometimes our knees hurt a little when we squat.

Every single time I have had knee pain while squatting has been because my knees have come in. Even a slight knees-in position has caused me pain when left uncorrected for several squat sessions.

Perhaps the knees coming forward we see in the side view of your squats is a result of the knees coming in slightly at the bottom of your squat.

The best cue I've found to fix this is "open the groin". I aim for a great stretch in the adductors. Ever since adopting this cue I've had no knee pain while squatting.

Thanks for looking at them Mark. I have no problem with working through the knee pain, as at the moment its not preventing me from squatting. I just wanted to confirm that it wasn't the result of drastically poor form on my part.

Would another angle (45 degree behind) possibly be more revealing? Also, would light knee wraps be of any help in this situation?

elVarouza - thanks for your input but I can almost certainly say that knees coming inward is not an issue as other angles would almost definitely show.

Light wraps would be the next step, if you're sure your form is correct wrt angles.

Thanks Mark. I will film Friday's squats from 45 degrees behind and post them to this thread if it will allow you to identify any other errors that I could be making.

Maybe your knees aren't shifting in during the squat. Maybe they're just not out enough. I've experienced knee pain when I did not have my knees out enough. They did not come in during the squat; they simply were not pushed out fully. This is easiest to see with a front view or a back view.

I don't mean to doubt your analysis, but it's an easy check and an easy fix if it is indeed the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jords View Post
    Thanks Mark. I will film Friday's squats from 45 degrees behind and post them to this thread if it will allow you to identify any other errors that I could be making.
    Oh, GOOD!

Hey Rip, I know you have been eagerly awaiting another squat video from me all week, so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeCOMcMJuQA

As you can see I am using wraps in this video. I don't think they really did much to alleviate the pain in my right knee. Can you see anything from this angle that would be contributing to my knee issues?

Thanks a million Rip.

starting strength coach development program
    No. Nothing technically wrong with these squats except your chin is up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast