starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Article at T-Nation

Default New Article at T-Nation

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...fallacy_of_all

An excerpt from the 3rd edition, actually, restating the basic differences between training and exercise.

So what you're saying is that I, and the many youth of America, will not be getting a re-author of the program to be easy. And give us big guns, huge chesticles, and six-pack abs. Even if we said please.

Yes. Fuck you all.

I have actually asked a bunch of people that skin tan question in the past few years. Amazes me how many people, especially people in the sciences get it wrong. One of the few people who got it right was my 90 year old great uncle who dropped out of school in the 3rd grade.

I've thought about this section as I've been working on my tan this summer. My girlfriend joked with me about following the "Starting Tan" program.

Not a question, just a long-winded response...

I love this article as it crystallizes in my mind what I’ve slowly (and rather dim-wittedly) been figuring out over the last several weeks in my physical training. I never thought of it in these terms before, but I unknowingly learned how to play the guitar using a linear progression. My teacher didn’t call it that, and although I was too young to see it as anything other than a chore, he had me practice playing my scales (modes actually) up and down the neck of the guitar for 30 minutes a day and play along with a metronome. He wanted me to up the tempo 2-4 beats every few days, which I did pretty religiously. I had only been playing for a year at that point but my “practicing” so far just consisted of making noise for 4 hours or so a night (to the detriment of my grades at school, the annoyance of my siblings and the anger of my dad). After about five months of fairly consistent adherence to my teacher’s training program, I was playing way faster and more accurately than a buddy of mine who had been playing for 3 years. And over the years, I used variations of that same methodology to push myself to learn new things and eventually become a pretty decent musician.

Simply playing “fast” on the guitar is certainly not the end all be all of becoming a good musician, anymore than simply being “strong” means that you’re automatically good at basketball. There was still a world’s worth of knowledge & training that I needed to continue to acquire in order to be a true musician. BUT I understand now (though I didn’t at the time) that his program built a solid foundation which made everything that came after just that much easier.

The cardio interval program my trainer put me on a few weeks ago also had a progression built into it. But it wasn’t until I got to the 4th week of training (novice affect in full force) and began to see and feel the progress that the light bulb went off in my head. It's also the same week I discovered this site I read the first chapter of Starting Strength I have assumed for years that my body was some sort of mystery and that I was “doomed” to be fat (I have a fat person’s brain) rather than a machine that can adapt - if properly programmed. I guess it remains to be seen if I’m up to the challenge… but realizing that I’ve programmed my body once before to achieve something few people ever do has been great encouragement to keep going and try to keep getting smarter about how I train rather than simply going to the gym to “exercise.”

Do you have any input on putting pictures of people who are obviously on steroids into your articles that are about doing the hard work.

In this edition, will you talk about why other people say the "jump-shrug" is wrong? My mind is so full of crossfit and olympic lifting shit right now I do not know what to think.

Quote Originally Posted by kwerk View Post
    Do you have any input on putting pictures of people who are obviously on steroids into your articles that are about doing the hard work.
    None at all. All authors for magazines and online content have this happen to them. Part of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabeatank View Post
    In this edition, will you talk about why other people say the "jump-shrug" is wrong? My mind is so full of crossfit and olympic lifting shit right now I do not know what to think.

It is discussed at length.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is discussed at length.
    Good, I'm confused as of now. I went to a crossfit gym(Please don't kill me), for various reasons. The man there seemed very intelligent, and told me how the jump-shrug way for cleaning is not the good way to go. My mind is full of many fucks as of now.

When will this book be out?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast