starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Stability and the Bench Press

Default Shoulder Stability and the Bench Press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Howdy Rip

When I was a ween teen I dislocated my A/C joint and partially tore my Infraspinatus. I never had surgery on the thing and was told it would heal naturally on its own. I’m sure there probably some complications from scar tissue build up, but it only gives me a hard time on bench for obvious reasons. I am doing the Texas Method for the presses and I notice that my 1RM for press is decent (200lbs) while my bench is a shit 270lbs. I’ve been reading some material on benching with this type of injury and what I got is that you’re suppose to compensate by using a closer grip and bringing the elbows closer to the body. Wouldn’t this strain the bicep a bit more? I’ve also read that bent over rows and external shoulder rotation are the corrective exercises for this. I’ve done both in the past and nothing seems to translate well into the bench. I’m complaining because 270lbs is the most I’ve ever benched and TM is working. I’m just wondering if there’s anything I can do to increase shoulder stability in this movement.

Thanks,
    Chuck

If you have a small tear in your infraspinatus tendon, it may very well be that a conservative approach to the bench press is the one that keeps you from having surgery. I don't think external rotation isolation is good for anything. If you are doing chins and presses, your shoulder is protected as much as can be if you're benching heavy too.

Well supposedly the tear has since healed according to the ortho I went to. The injury was a few years ago. I have always taken a conservative approach to the bench, however I have powerlifting goals in mind. It has been better since I started doing chins almost every workout. I've seen some powerlifters use a closer grip in order to compensation for a shoulder injury. Would this be good idea to try out or would I just be wasting time, smoking my triceps along with it?

Take whatever grip hurts the least, obviously. Tears in tendons under tension do not usually heal, since the ends of the tear are not in approximation.