starting strength gym

Thread: That "A Ha" Moment

Default That "A Ha" Moment

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Not so much a question as a testimonial but...

I'm a 41 year-old geezer who's trying to get his ass from behind the desk and back under the bar. After having stumbled upon the Starting Strength routine, I ordered the book and got my first glance yesterday.

Clinical and thorough in it's analysis and well worth the investment. For those who haven't picked one up, get one.

Having banged up my back at least twice over the past many years squatting, 15 minutes with the book really improved things. Specifically:

- I always considered the bar on my shoulders as inconsequential. WRONG! Having the bar lower on the scapula changes my center of gravity greatly and the proper grip not only secures the bar but lifts my chest

- I also never really "got" how the squat was a full body exercise...that is, until I got my chest where it needed to be, activated those spinal erectors specifically in the mid-back, built the proper intra-thoracic pressure, and focused on pressing up the imaginary hand on my lower back. Each rep as an individual...each set up and executed individually.

When I get some non-embarassing weight on the bar perhaps I'll post a video to be "ripped" apart but until then...

Get SS, read it, and protect those backs, youngsters!

Thanks, Rip!

Dave

A pleasure to be of service.