starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Bar Placement

Default Squat Bar Placement

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have been experiencing some abrasions of the skin on my back where the knurl of the bar sits during squats. I have properly chalked the bar and my shirt and have worn 100% cotton shirts. I assumed I was not keeping my chest out/elbows up and the bar was sliding but that does not appear to be the problem either. This has made me wonder whether I have the bar in the correct position below the spine of the scapula. In the picture below, the red-ish mark is where the knurl sits so you can imagine the bar across there (my hands are raised as if I was gripping the bar). This feels like a pretty comfortable "shelf" the bar sits on. The only discomfort is the ripping of the skin from the knurl. Does the bar need to sit down further?

Also, before anyone suggests it, I have watched Rip's video on bar placement a number of times but just can't seem to find where it is supposed to sit for me. I've also noticed the ripping from the knurl has only occurred since I've hit 300 for 5x3 and not at lower weights. Thanks!

IMG_0390.jpg

Your picture did not come through, but I can assure you that some very mild abrasions and callus formation is completely normal and not indicative of a form or bar placement problem.