starting strength gym

Thread: Squat follow up, ugly set of 5 @ 330

Default Squat follow up, ugly set of 5 @ 330

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey,

Wanted to post this to see if any major issues need to be addressed before going up in weight (especially depth). This is my 3rd set, still doing a novice linear progression after a significant reset due to a minor quad injury, I've been focusing on keeping tight and not relaxing into depth as I've tweaked my back squatting in the past. Shit is getting real, reps 4 and 5 felt ugly but I got all 15 work set reps in. Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks as always for your good work! - Nick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_94I6GeBhA

Drive your knees out more on the way down and keep them driven out on the ascent. I would bet that will clean up a couple of issues for you such as your forward knee travel through the duration of the descent and the general wiggliness. I've seen much worse, however.

Do what Tom said. Nice work Nick!

I am definitely generally wiggly.

Question: do you find that sometimes a narrower stance helps with getting knees out faster?

I'll try to film another heavy set soon and see if I can make it better. Thank you for your time and advice!

The speed at which the knees go out is usually not an issue. I find that a stance near shoulder width produces the best squatting outcomes for the majority of trainees. There are some variations to that, but a moderate stance carries the day.