starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is rebounding out of the bottom of the Press cheating?

Default Is rebounding out of the bottom of the Press cheating?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've found some conflicting answers, and wondering if I should no longer use this when doing my Presses or not. In the Starting Strength video, Rippetoe teaches the trainees to take their breath at the top of their press, and then use the stretch reflex instead of stopping at the bottom and taking their breath. I found that when I was getting stuck on my press, and it helped a lot. But I'm wondering what disadvantages there might be to doing this, and if anyone else uses this method as well.

Always pause at the bottom. Same reason you dont do touch and go deads.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    I'm not really sure if that comparison works. Aren't touch and go deadlifts easier because of momentum generated rather than a stretch reflex?

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    OP is right; Rip teaches the press to use the stretch reflex at the bottom rather than pause. And the reason you don't touch and go on DLs is because you can get some bounce from the floor -- rather than elastic rebound from stretched muscle -- to cheat the lift.

Oh and for context, I'm asking because I'm starting 5/3/1 and it will make a difference on my AMRAP sets.

Default Is rebounding out of the bottom of the Press cheating?

I don't think there's anything wrong with not pausing. Just be consistent in whatever you choose.

This is correct, but no longer applies to the way the press is now taught in the 3rd edition, with the hip movement. In the older version of the press, you could use the stretch reflex on reps 2-5 and that would be fine. In the more olympic style Press that's in the 3rd edition and that we now teach at the SS Seminars, you use hip movement to drive the press out of the bottom. This requires a full stop at the bottom of each rep, but you can ultimately lift more weight this way if you learn to do it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwiggity View Post
    I've found some conflicting answers, and wondering if I should no longer use this when doing my Presses or not. In the Starting Strength video, Rippetoe teaches the trainees to take their breath at the top of their press, and then use the stretch reflex instead of stopping at the bottom and taking their breath. I found that when I was getting stuck on my press, and it helped a lot. But I'm wondering what disadvantages there might be to doing this, and if anyone else uses this method as well.
    Stetch Reflex Press

It's provide a different training effect, it not necessarily a good or bad thing.

1) Training it, as such, develop the stretch reflex.

2) It also allows you to use more weight. That means you are able to overload the top part of the press more effectively.

Paused Press

Pausing the press on the chest develop tends to develop more strength in the "hole" position.

Ice Cream

They are somewhat like ice cream. One is chocolate and the other is vanilla. Ice cream but different flavors.

Kenny Croxdale

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    OP is right; Rip teaches the press to use the stretch reflex at the bottom rather than pause. And the reason you don't touch and go on DLs is because you can get some bounce from the floor -- rather than elastic rebound from stretched muscle -- to cheat the lift.
    Touch and Go Deadlifts

There are some advantage to touch and go deadlifts.

The touch and go allows you to move more weight. Thus, you are able to overload the top part of the movement.

Elastic Rebound

A touch and go deadlift does elicit some stretch reflex.

Power: A Scientific Approach
    (Page 39/Ballistic Training Techniques)

Hatfiled advocated bouncing the weight off the floor in the deadlift at times.

"Carefully controlled application of jerky movements against your tendons will make tendons respond by growing thicker. Consider this: If your tendon is thicker, its tensile strength is increased. If its tensile strength is greater, it’ll take more tension to set off the inhibitory signal. Therefore, greater strength can be displayed without shut-down taking place."

The Bouncing Stiff-Leg Deadlift

Charles Staley (Strength Coach) goes into how effective the posterior chain is overloaded with a bounced stiff-leg deadlift.

Goggle it to find the article.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 09-03-2012 at 10:07 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Croxdale View Post
    Touch and Go Deadlifts

There are some advantage to touch and go deadlifts.

The touch and go allows you to move more weight. Thus, you are able to overload the top part of the movement.

Elastic Rebound

A touch and go deadlift does elicit some stretch reflex.

Power: A Scientific Approach
    (Page 39/Ballistic Training Techniques)

Hatfiled advocated bouncing the weight off the floor in the deadlift at times.

"Carefully controlled application of jerky movements against your tendons will make tendons respond by growing thicker. Consider this: If your tendon is thicker, its tensile strength is increased. If its tensile strength is greater, it’ll take more tension to set off the inhibitory signal. Therefore, greater strength can be displayed without shut-down taking place."

The Bouncing Stiff-Leg Deadlift

Charles Staley (Strength Coach) goes into how effective the posterior chain is overloaded with a bounced stiff-leg deadlift.

Goggle it to find the article.

Kenny Croxdale
    Or you could just do rack pulls. I haven't thought enough about it to say for certain, but I don't think a touch-n-go DL elicits a stretch reflex. You're bouncing off the floor, not any end ROM of any muscle group or joint, which would create a stretch reflex.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast