starting strength gym

Thread: Hey RIP / Why don't they get it?

Default Hey RIP / Why don't they get it?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey Coach,

I came across and article today that I found about Troy Aikman. The long and short is he felt to stay in shape after his football career he needed to run almost 7 days a week and if he wasn't sweating he wasn't doing anything. Worse part of the article is he said and I quote "Because his initial back injury occurred while he was doing squats". It seems whenever I try to explain the program to someone and why I do what I do from the wonderful blue and grey books you wrote "they" say I am going to hurt myself and or they use these articles to stand firm on there stance. It's funny I have run 7 marathons 3 of them ultras and I just had Meniscus surgery 4 weeks ago. No doubt in my mind all the years of running without strength training is what killed my knee and not the newly acquired squats? (DUH)

Only 4 weeks Post Op and I squatted 315 already. Every person I know said I am crazy. Even the Physical Therapist (who I only had to visit 3 times) was unsure the protocol to use on my knee and instead told me to stretch and use the 3 pound leg weight to for lifting. Personally I think I am recovering so quickly because I stopped all the dam running and got up to a 405 MAX squat rep week before I had the surgery. I trained hard but smart 2.5 months before surgery. Best part was I didn't follow the program properly. (I know big surprise, I should be killed)

That said, I guess this rambling goes along with my original question (and I think I just wanted to vent more than anything) why won't people just shut up and look at the data in our training log notebooks? Is it culture, perhaps the coaches like you have mentioned that reside in D1 and upward or is it like I was just uneducated? I can't believe a pro athlete like Troy could be that wrong when an idiot like me can get it?

NFL Great Troy Aikman?s Workout to End Back Pain - WSJ

P.S. I have now de-loaded and am starting the program again, (Correctly, so as not to be killed) with lots of eating and rest. At 45, since my cancer diagnosis 6 years ago yesterday I am stronger than ever!

Thanks Coach!

Sparky

One of the advantages of the SSOC program we are about to roll out will be the huge volume of data it generates. The people in the Mainstream Sports Media -- where you read about Aikman -- will ignore it, since it doesn't comport with the narrative. We can't do anything about this until a few people who are of interested to the MSSM begin to use our methods. It will take time.

I found it interesting after sending you my question that the latest podcast came out within minutes with Rebekah Cygan. It further helped to clarify the misconceptions about the program from a standpoint of simple human nature as well as the noise pollution in the industry. As always a great insightful podcast.

Interestingly, I work at PerkinElmer, a Life Science company in CT and we finally installed a new gym at our facility. Guess what, it has everything but barbells, shocking I know. Just a couple for curls. I asked about getting a squat rack. You should have seen the look I got from facilities and the safety team. You would think I asked for a shooting range. Before I walked away I asked if we were going to paint all of the equipment purple as well? It went over their heads.

When you've invested time and effort into learning, you want to believe you've learnt the correct methods. From my experience at university, most academics or trainers who influence people's opinion pride themselves on being smart and correct. They then surround themselves with people who agree with their opinions to reinforce that they are in the know. Similar to how people seek out information on the internet that doesn't challenge their current opinions in regards to politics (e.g. only liking FB pages that share your political views )

Starting Strength probably create a lot of cognitive dissonance within the academics and trainers brains, as it suggests all their education has lead them on the wrong path. I'm guessing the best way to convince them they are wrong is to somehow make them feel smart as they are learning why their methods aren't effective.

As it turns out, I was contacted to participate in a survey that is being used as a research study to analyze the efficacy of elbow surgeries in the military. After answering the questions to the surgeons liking, I was asked if I wanted to participate in a case study article because my recovery from this surgery is the fastest anyone has ever heard of, and it is as complete a recovery as anyone they have ever seen. We'll see what happens from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lactateislove View Post
    Starting Strength probably create a lot of cognitive dissonance within the academics and trainers brains, as it suggests all their education has lead them on the wrong path. I'm guessing the best way to convince them they are wrong is to somehow make them feel smart as they are learning why their methods aren't effective.
    Well said.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    As it turns out, I was contacted to participate in a survey that is being used as a research study to analyze the efficacy of elbow surgeries in the military. After answering the questions to the surgeons liking, I was asked if I wanted to participate in a case study article because my recovery from this surgery is the fastest anyone has ever heard of, and it is as complete a recovery as anyone they have ever seen. We'll see what happens from here.
    Holy crap. Please keep us updated.