starting strength gym

Thread: Hitting the Same GD Plateau

Default Hitting the Same GD Plateau

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Over the past 4-5 months I've had a few ups and downs and so my training status has fluctuated accordingly. However, in this time I have hit a plateau with the OHP 3 times, and the frustrating thing si that each time its happened at exactly the same weight.

- I hit 152.5 succesfully and then failed 3 times at 155 before deloading and making another run at it.
    - After coming back up from the deload I stalled again at 155 causing me to sweitch to the Texas method for the press.
    - After making what felt like decent progress I had a recurrence of a pec issue, coupled with a month long break in Europe during which training was substandard and upon getting back to the US started back on a short bout of LP. On friday I hit 152.5 easily and today managed just 12 of the required reps (5, 4, 3), again at 155.

I had a longish weekend, and a hectic morning so am hoping I can make a better attempt on wednesday...if just felt so heavy though even during the first set. I'm not after advice, just words of encouragement to help me break this cycle.

Try the running start reset (Johnny Pain)....Reset to 135 and do 2 sets of 5, and then a set of max reps. When you get back to 155 switch back to 3|5. Take 2.5# jumps the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatson View Post
    Try the running start reset (Johnny Pain)....Reset to 135 and do 2 sets of 5, and then a set of max reps. When you get back to 155 switch back to 3|5. Take 2.5# jumps the whole time.
    This is a good idea. Some other folks have also switched to 5 sets of 3 and had a lot of success as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatson View Post
    I hope this isn't consider blasphemous but isnt the point of a reset to allow for some extra rest after fatigue has accumulated from doing the routine, which prevents you from moving up? And doesn't a max effort set not allow that to happen? I'm interested in hearing the rational behind this running start reset.

I think the idea is to build some extra muscle and strength, so when you go back to the 5's you are stronger (and bigger) than you were the last time you attempted the stall weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Regin Smidur View Post
    I hope this isn't consider blasphemous but isnt the point of a reset to allow for some extra rest after fatigue has accumulated from doing the routine, which prevents you from moving up? And doesn't a max effort set not allow that to happen? I'm interested in hearing the rational behind this running start reset.
    You understand the theory as laid out in PPST fine. Clearly it is not compatible with this approach so presumably it is based on a different theory as to what occurrs to bring about a stall. I am willing to accept that accumulated fatigue is not the only reason one's progress might stall, and so actually approached my most recent reset similarly. It was a fun approach, but in this instance didnt help bring about much gain.

good advice above, and you can also fiddle with your set/rep scheme. Why not 8 sets of 3 or 6 sets of 4?

I've seen many people move the presses to 5 sets of 3 with good success when such stalls occur. It's the same total volume, just a different rep scheme. Just keep at it, OP. It will come.

-Hat

Quote Originally Posted by Regin Smidur View Post
    You're using a lighter weight, so you're lifting with less intensity. The set to failure at a lighter weight provides a different type of stimulus than the heavier sets of 5 did, so you get a break from near-max weights while still potentially progressing in a different rep range.

starting strength coach development program
    Eat more. Had the same problem and that totally fixed it.