• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    1&2)22/M @188BW
    3&4)General HLM p168 PPST3 for 6months
    5)196BW
    6) 5lbs upper/ 10lbs lower held constant over LP and HLM
    7&8)2200 ~ 40g of protein/day
    9)5-8m between sets
    10) S-95 B-65 D-115 P-55. Used 5lb increments on press, and bench. 10lb increments on squats and deads. Was able to progress this way for 6months on SSLP with one reset at 5months 1wk. Began HLM 1st monday of 7th month continuing 5/10lb increments. Soldier failed APFT(push ups) 1wk before reset and began extra pt. Fatigue was noticeable during sessions which lead to reset and eventual intermediate programming. Soldier has now failed another APFT (sit ups).
    11) His activites outside the gym now include 2 1/2-3hrs of pt every morning @0500. PT consists of long runs (45m+), calistenics, combatives, and HIIT training. Sometimes all of these in the same session.

Question: How can i help this soldier continue to improve on the 4 basic lifts.
    Side Notes: I informed him his protein is UBGODLY LOW and his caloric intake insufficent. With so much volume being accumulated in pt im looking at more intensive programming @ low frequency with no assistance exercises. I think the elderly section in PPST3 is a good place to start, thoughts.
    As always whether anyone responds or not i appreciate the content put out by the SS community.

Sorry for the delay here. With 3 hours of PT a day, 2200 cals / 40g of protein is certainly going to be a major factor in his lack of recovery. If you could get that even to 2800/150, that would be much better, albeit still definitely too low but I don't know how realistic 3500/200 is.

I'm trying to figure out what happened here though. Going up in 5 lb increments on the bench for 7 months, 6 times a month should have yielded a ~250x5 bench. The guy weighs less than 200. Did he not practice pushups AT ALL before his APFT?!

How is it even possible to get 2200kcal without getting more protein?
    Even if the calories came entirely just from bread and pasta it would be ~75g.

I assume it's possible to get that low for fruitarians or someone relying similarly heavy on fruits for their calories.

Okay, I ran some numbers
    2200kcal in pasta means 74g of protein.
    2200kcal in apples means 12g protein.
    2200kcal in broccoli means 244g protein! (and 6,47 kilogram of broccoli - enjoy your meal!)

Most likely the self reported numbers in someone who hasn't been coached on counting calories/macros and shown repeatedly directly to the coach, over a period of time, that they can do it precisely and accurately, are unreliable. Almost as if there's a recurring theme here.

Would it be more productive to go through his training logs rather ask for a summary of training. I know he religously keeps his log up to date. He also has monthly bod pod information that i could track his weight with. Alexander Dargatz brings up a valid point about nutrition as far as protein in non meat, dairy, and supplement choices. As far as the practicing of push ups other than pt that would be a no.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Notyouravgdoc View Post
    As far as the practicing of push ups other than pt that would be a no.
    He HAS to practice for the test. All aspects of it. The questions are: How much, how long before the test, and how much actual strength training can he do before that and what program changes will need to be made during that practice preparatory phase? We generally think the answers are:
    1. Not as long as everyone else thinks.
    2. Not that long.
    3. A lot.
    4. That will vary by individual.

Actually all will vary by individual, and also if he needs a really high mark or just to pass. But he HAS to practice for the test.

Have you read this one yet: A Strength-Based Approach to the APFT | Ryan Whittemore