starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novice with an exceptionally weak squat

Default Novice with an exceptionally weak squat

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi -

I'm an older guy (47) and I started exercising / weight lifting for the first time, seriously last June. Since then, I've stumbled along in programming exercises for myself, and have seen strength gains.

About four months ago I tried squatting for the first time with a mere 135lbs. On my third rep, I felt a tear, and unfortunately, I received a sports hernia.

I recently found Starting Strength, and just started the novice, phase 1 program. I am starting really light on my squat (95lbs), benching 165lbs, and deadlifting 275.

In terms of more background I have bad ankles (I sprained both previously), and get arthritis flareups in my feet. (Yes, getting old isn't fun.)

Long story short - given my weakness on the squat - does anyone have any recommendations on how to progress there, beyond the phase 1 program? Should I be doing some sort of accessory exercise? (I feel like I can do more, but I am taking it slow because I want to avoid injury.)

Thanks for reading, and any words of wisdom you can offer!

Nick

What is a "sports hernia" and how was it repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is a "sports hernia" and how was it repaired?
    Mark,

First, thanks for responding.

Below is a brief definition from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (Sports Hernia (Athletic Pubalgia) - OrthoInfo - AAOS)

---
    Sports Hernia (Athletic Pubalgia)

A sports hernia is a painful, soft tissue injury that occurs in the groin area. It most often occurs during sports that require sudden changes of direction or intense twisting movements.

Although a sports hernia may lead to a traditional, abdominal hernia, it is a different injury. A sports hernia is a strain or tear of any soft tissue (muscle, tendon, ligament) in the lower abdomen or groin area.

Because different tissues may be affected and a traditional hernia may not exist, the medical community prefers the term "athletic pubalgia" to refer to this type of injury. The general public and media are more familiar with "sports hernia," however, and this term will be used for the remainder of this article.

---

The injury occurred, when I was at the bottom of the squat while I was starting to stand up. (My left leg was wobbly during the movement and drifted left - which I suspect was the cause of the injury.)

Nick

In terms of of repairing the injury, I followed a physical therapy regimen - which focused on the following exercises (which I found at: Sports Hernia Injury: A Complete Full-Scale Review (Athletic Pubalgia))

Hip Bridge
    Dog Legs
    Bent-Legged Side Levers
    Psoas Hold
    Adduction (against a ball)
    Ab Roll-outs
    Reaching One-Legged Deadlifts

In reviewing my medical records, my physician diagnosed the problem as: "Strain of abdominal wall, initial encounter - Primary." (But he called it a sports hernial the pain was located in my lower left abdomen/ the top of my left groin.(

As a 48 year old wo began at c. age 40 with a weak as piss squat, I'll chime in.
    1) Please buy and read the book, the whole Book, Starting Strength 3d edition NOT just some online summaries. It is an essential owners manual for those of us with a human body. This is not mere hyperbole. The book contains critical information on how, why, how frequent and when to move. Detailed descriptions of the squat, the deadlift, the pressing movements and assitive equipment (like belts and weightlifting shoes - hint: get them) are contained therein. Discussions on the philosophy of how often to train and why are included. Its great. Investing in yourself is buying, reading and studying the book.
    2) Start over squatting with an empty bar. Add ten pounds to each workout. Dont be in a fucking hurry to hit a wall of progress by loading the bar too quickly. Give your old man body time to grow and adapt to the new demands you are making of it.
    3) Start over deadlifting with 135. Same thing. Go up 10 pounds per workout.
    4) Drop your bench down, too.
    5) Rip doesnt give diet advice, but I do. Eat at least 200g of animal protein per day, and look into reducing your carbohydrate intake. Lots and lots of carbs cause inflammation problems in joints, which will make your arthritic foot problem worse. Make up the difference in caloiric intake (if you need to) with more fats. Adding lots of Ribeye steak to your diet is a delicious way to accomplish all these goals. If you are a lipophobe and are afraid this way of eating will kill you, just give it a month or so, then add the carbs back in, and decide for yourself whether you still want/need them.

If you think my training recommendations are overly cautious, so what? If you follow it to a T, in 30 days (i.e.12 workouts) You will have added 120 pounds to all your lifts, essentially back to where you were, but injury and pain free, ready to move onwards and upwards with greater strength.

Godspeed my old weak friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabruzzo View Post
    In reviewing my medical records, my physician diagnosed the problem as: "Strain of abdominal wall, initial encounter - Primary." (But he called it a sports hernial the pain was located in my lower left abdomen/ the top of my left groin.(
    All that being said, you do not have an inguinal hernia, right? You have no operable lesion, just an owee?

Nope, I didn't have an inguinal hernia/ no operable lesion. It hurt like hell when it happened - like an intense electric shock in the groin. After it felt like a pulled muscle when walking.

FatButWeak,

I have the book ordered - and can't wait to dig in. The videos of RIP explaining the fundamentals are the best I've found online.

I don't have a problem going slower with less weight - I just want to get stronger, in an ongoing basis.

Thanks for the good humor and suggestions. Us old guys need to stick together!

starting strength coach development program
    Its funny. An article posted yesterday described a gentleman named Rich Pauley who squatted 265 for 5,5,5 his first day training and has been linear progressing very aggressively for 8 months or so. He is now squatting over 500. The article talks about how/why there is no sense in gaining strength slowly. And I Agree. Mr Pauley has done great. But that speed of improvement is the exception not the norm. Its not helpful to persons in the broad, wide center of the bull curve. In fact, its a little discouraging.

Not all of us have it in us to become inspiring stories. Most of us are close to average. Averagege people will get hurt, sick, distracted and have to do a rather large reset. I muself dragged out my LP for near three years due to extreme weight loss, professional obligations, family obligations, minir njuries, etcetera. I commenced Texas Method after almost three years of LP with a shitty 345 or so squat for three sets of 5. This was at age 45 with a 250 pound or so bodyweight.

My only point is to say- yes go as fast as you can. But dont berate abuse or discourage yourself if you have to go slower. the more important thing is to keep going, keep grinding, keep getting stronger. Id rather be 65 squatting 405 for a 1 rm than 65, no longer training and thinking back to my glory days, decades earlier, when i squatted 500,600,650 for a single but i no longer train because “reasons

Its cliche but you need to do whatevers necessary to enjoy the journey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast