starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift and power clean form check

Default Deadlift and power clean form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Here are two recent vids of me doing deadlifts and power cleans at weights not too far from my 5RM. Any comments?

Deadlift: 5 reps, 140 kg / 308 lbs

Power clean: 2 sets of 3 reps, 77,5 kg / 171 lbs

I think my hamstrings may be tight, because if I start with my hips higher than I do, I can't arch my lower back. Am I wrong here?

Out of the power cleans, I think the 1st rep in the second set i the best one. I jump when the bar is higher on my thigh on that rep.

Quote Originally Posted by selters View Post
    Here are two recent vids of me doing deadlifts and power cleans at weights not too far from my 5RM. Any comments?

Deadlift: 5 reps, 140 kg / 308 lbs
    Tough to tell from that angle. . .but is that a little overexaggerated hyperextension at the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Tough to tell from that angle. . .but is that a little overexaggerated hyperextension at the top?
    I think you're right about the top of the deads. BTW, the sound effects when you set the bar down are epic. For the cleans, on both sets some dude keeps getting in the way of the blonds and it's hard to see. Seriously, the cleans look solid with fast elbows. I agree about the jumps throughout the second set.

And that is one very nice gym.

DL:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...468#post182468

The main point being to set up properly. The other key here being to jam your knees out into your elbows.

PC:
    I'm going to have to disagree with one of the posters above. On several reps it appears you are catching the bar in your hands then rotating your elbows up as an afterthought. Note Rep 2 of the 2nd set - it's especially egregious on that one.

The other thing I'd like you to do is to note your jump point on each rep in the 2nd set. It's the reason that you had a slight lateral split in your 2nd rep. You may want to chalk the bar so you can see this in the gym.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 12-06-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Hi Selters,

re: Power Clean.

I prefer the second set to the first. In the first, you seem to bounce the bar off the top of the knees. In the second set, the bar stays on your thighs a bit longer, and the path is closer to your body.

On a last note, that is indeed a very good gym, with top quality equipment.

IPB

Ok, thanks for the comments.

I did 142,5 kg / 314 lbs the other day as well. I think they look pretty much the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdjPy2afzss

I also did 145 kg / 320 lbs two days ago, but I didn't film that set.
    Last edited by selters; 01-30-2011 at 03:44 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I did a set of five at 155 kg / 341 lbs last week:

It didn't feel too heavy, but I'm not sure if my form is a good as it should be. Is it safe to progress and just try to fix my form as I go along or do you think I should back off a bit and fix my form at easier weights? I only add 1 kg / 2,2 lbs every workout in the deadlift. I think I'm going to record my next set of five on Wednesday at 156 / 344 lbs and really concentrate on keeping my lumbar back locked.

This is how my deadlift looks like at my 1RM (180 kg / 397 lbs), just for comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSMEMP4rA-4