starting strength gym

Thread: Lower Back Stiffness/Pain

Default Lower Back Stiffness/Pain

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach,

Yesterday I walked out my first working set of squats(280x5) and upon setting my stance in the power rack I experienced a shooting pain in a muscle at the very base of the spine on the right side and it shot down running through my inner right buttock. I racked the bar and waited a few minutes before attempting a rep at which point the muscle felt extremely tight and painful and I ceased squatting. I then did my warm up and working sets of pressing before leaving my gym.

Later I developed a very stiff lower back and experienced odd muscle pains in my right lower back and right buttock. I got a few shooting pains down the right leg, but most of the problem was in the base of my spine. It was either dull pain or just extreme stiffness.

I woke up today feeling much much better and have taken ibuprofen and since feel almost normal. The way my schedule works, Wednesday is the last day of my lifting in a week, and I resume my next week usually on Saturday.

Should I take some more time off until the soreness entirely subsides if it has not by Saturday, or is it safe for me to just resume Saturday?

6'
    177 lbs
    23 years old
    -Had disk herniation in my back 6-7 years ago causing pain down the LEFT buttock and leg. Have not experience any pain in my left leg or buttock from this.

Thanks, Coach.

Are you doing situps or back extensions? Why is your bodyweight so light?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you doing situps or back extensions? Why is your bodyweight so light?
    I occasionally do weighted sit-ups maybe once or twice a week but am not currently doing them due to the pain.

My body weight is light due to poor eating habits. I'm working on the weight, up from 160 or so. Could this have been caused by my stabilizers being too weak/small?

Why do you think I asked those two questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why do you think I asked those two questions?
    My guess would be that you're implying that I'm either overtrained or under recovered. If so, where do I go from here? Obviously increase food intake(I'm currently around 3500 per day); should I cut out the sit-ups as well?

Also, should I sit out for a while to make sure my back is fully healed?

starting strength coach development program
    Don't lay off. Just gain some fucking weight and quit doing situps, at least for a while, so that your back can settle down.