starting strength gym

Thread: PPST/Novice questions and advice

Default PPST/Novice questions and advice

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So, I just got my copy of PPST the other day and am very pleased. I came a cross a few items in the novice section that I was hoping to get some input on (note, I did do a search, but nothing seemed to match):

1. I skipped the DL every workout pattern, since that wasn't in SSBBT, but since it says something about DL "well ahead of BS" was wondering if being at DL 265 and BS 210 meets this???

2. I am currently doing the A and B workouts (A = BS/SP/DL; B=BS/BP/PC) from the top of p 106, but am wondering how long I will be able to manage this before shifting to the Onus Wunsler pattern by adding chins/pullups. (the book says "a short time"....). Any input on when to shift would be appreciated.

3. Also, since I have been lifting for a while (although on a much less effective program - CFSB for a 5 week intro cycle and 7 week extended cycle after), I have some concerns about being able to extend my linear progression. Obviously, I will be following the books advice, and I've started to adjust loading accordingly to prevent getting stuck. I suspect that SP and PC will be my first areas of issue, since I feel like these weights are already "heavy" for me (140 and 140 respectively), but hope they will come up as my DL and BP improve. Suggestions/Comments?

You can add chin-ups and pull-ups at any time, as long as they don't affect your recovery. As for SP and PC loading questions, the answer is to microload.