starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Belt

Default Deadlift Belt

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm using an EFS Retro Series belt for squatting but it's about time for me to invest in a belt specifically for deadlifts. What's everyone using for a deadlift belt?

I use a pretty cheap velcro belt that I got from the Sports Authority for deadlifting. My big leather belt got in the way for deads. I think this one is the one I have. I don't like it for squats as much, however. For that the Retro Belt is what I like to use.

With deads, how do you guys find the typical 4inch belt gets in the way? I just got mine this week and deadlifted last night in it. I found in the start position when I set my back the belt would hitch up a bit on my back. Still felt great though. I deadlifted 1 set of 5 on December 11 then again on January 8 and not again until last night, it felt so much better with the belt to push against I did some heavy singles and did a 10# PR.

I asked a similar question:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=14552

Since placing the belt (EFS Retro, 4", 10mm) higher in the back and lower in the front as recommended, I've been able to deadlift with it comfortably and it does feel like I'm getting good support.

You might not need 2 belts...

I don't like the way my EFS belt hitches up in the back. I'm looking for a little back support to help me keep my back from rounding.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

I've used 13mm thick toro powerbelt. it gave great support, but was just too thick for me, I ended up bruising. I'm thinking of getting a thinner one from them though.

Quote Originally Posted by AmacA View Post
    I've used 13mm thick toro powerbelt. it gave great support, but was just too thick for me, I ended up bruising. I'm thinking of getting a thinner one from them though.
    The bruising will subside once your body becomes accustomed and the belt breaks in.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AmacA View Post
    I've used 13mm thick toro powerbelt. it gave great support, but was just too thick for me, I ended up bruising.
    Ditto, but it gets vastly better as it breaks in. Keep working it. I dislike belts for higher reps on deads, because it inevitably shifts, but oh well.