Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is seated OHP a suitable replacement for SS

Default Is seated OHP a suitable replacement for SS

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

I'm building my home gym..

Worked out that my outdoor shelter will not have enough room to lift a bar standing up ove rmy head.

OIf it's warm I can probably take the barbell outdoors, but if it rains I have to work out inside...

I'm thinking of lifting the barbell whilst seated (without backrest), inside the power cage.

Is this a suitable replacement. or do i need to lift standing up?

Thanks

Can you not bring the bar into your house and perform the press inside?

I'm still not clear on whether you're a troll or not, but you might want to read the chapter on the press in Starting Strength.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonTiger View Post
    If it's warm I can probably take the barbell outdoors, but if it rains I have to work out inside...
    BS - you can OHP outside in the rain, unless you don't want to and are just looking for an excuse not to.

Seriously, There is ALWAYS a reason for any of us to puss out, if thats what we want to do. Dwell on that a while.

-Bowdirk

Quote Originally Posted by bowdirk View Post
    BS - you can OHP outside in the rain, unless you don't want to and are just looking for an excuse not to.

Seriously, There is ALWAYS a reason for any of us to puss out, if thats what we want to do. Dwell on that a while.

-Bowdirk
    There are a couple of reasons why training in the rain is bad,

You get wet
    the bar gets wet
    a wet bar is difficult to grip
    Olympic bars are expensive and probe to rust from the rain

Seated overhead presses without a back support are an excellent exercise. Savickas (one of the world's best overhead pressers, if you didn't know) swears by them.

Don't forget that another benefit of the standing press is that you will build trememdous ass muscles, much more so than in the seated position.

Damn it, London, every one of your posts attempts to find an excuse not to do something. If you're going to do the fucking program (SS or whatever) then do it, and stop wasting yours and everyone else's time.

Or don't do it all and go find another hobby.

There are a couple of reasons why training in the rain is bad,

You get wet
    the bar gets wet
    a wet bar is difficult to grip
    Olympic bars are expensive and probe to rust from the rain
    My Rack is on my concrete patio in the backyard and has been for 3 years and i don't cover it and yeah it's a little rusty. For some reason, it still works fine... I guess i could say it has rust on it so i can't use it anymore...

If it is raining, and i decide not to lift, (happened last week) I don't say i couldn't lift, I say I pussed out. recognize the difference...

Some days it is damp with condensation, mist, fog, or raindrops one swipe with a towel and it is good to go.

You get wet? fuck can't let that happen, do you ever take a shower?
    Bar gets wet? there is this thing called a towel
    A wet bar is difficult to grip? see above, if it actively raining hard you probably have to skip Deadlifts, other than that no problem.

Like I said earlier, all of us can ALWAYS find an excuse to puss out.

I am glad you are building a home gym, but at some point, you are going to have to reflect on whether or not you really want to do this or not. If you want to do it, all the trivial shit you always post about will disappear and you will just get it done.

-Bowdirk

starting strength coach development program
    Hi,

I'm thinking of lifting the barbell whilst seated (without backrest), inside the power cage.

Is this a suitable replacement. or do i need to lift standing up?
    A seated press is better than no press, but not nearly as good as a standing press. You won't be able to lift as much sitting down as standing up and, otherwise, you won't get as much benefit. I'm certain the reasons for the standing press are well described in Starting Strength. Another respected coach, Mike Burgener, tells it another way:

It is our philosophy that an exercise must utilize "yes to the 4th power." YES 1: Is the exercise ground based and are you standing up while performing the exercise? YES 2: Is the exercise a free weight exercise? YES 3: Does the exercise work multiple muscle groups and surround multiple joints? YES 4: Is the exercise performed in an explosive manner? If i can satisfy the requirements to "yes to the 4th power" 75% of the time, then the program and exercises I select are good functional exercises.

Also, as you tell it, it sounds like you're contemplating un-racking and racking the barbell from a seated position in a cage (with no back supports). Have you done this before? I haven't, but it sounds a bit awkward (assuming we're dealing with a heavy weight), and perhaps would leave you more prone to injury.

If you're able to bench using the cage, and use seated presses to compliment this, maybe you're not losing much strength overall, but you do lose something by substituting a seated press.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast