starting strength gym

Thread: Missing reps early on?

Default Missing reps early on?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've only been doing SS for a few weeks now. So I had to take last week off because of being sick, and went back to my routine this week. It would've been my 3rd week on the program. I retested my previous bests on Monday, and my squat of 115 seemed difficult, but I got all the reps in, and I figured it was because I was running on very little sleep and didn't eat before-hand (which I normally always do). Well, this morning, I felt weak as Hell during my squats. First set I got all the reps in. The next one, I got 4 complete reps, and I couldn't get out of the hole on the 5th, and had to drop the bar on the spotter bars. On the last set, I did 3, and then I guess I psyched myself out because I couldn't force myself to squat down even.

I have no idea why this happened. I got a good amount of sleep, and ate plenty of good nutritious food. The only thing I could think of is that maybe being in a gym I'm not accustomed to for the first time messed with my head more than I realized.

Sorry for the rant. The main question here is what should I be doing for the next workout? I know I'm supposed to analyze exactly why I missed these sets, but to be honest, I'm really not sure. I really hope I don't have to deload squats already.

This is what happens when you have an interruption to your normal routine. Don't expect to simply pick up where you left off when you get back in the gym. When you come back from a layoff, always take weight off the bar. In your case, next workout squat 100, and try to get 3 sets of 5. Since you're so early on, just start back from there and add 5 lbs per workout.

u should deload 10% and work way back up

that should b good 4 now

Small resets of 10% along the way are inevitable. Get used to it unless you are a sponsored athlete that has no worries, not job, no problems, never gets ill, never travels, solid genetics, and a bunch of other crap I haven't thought of yet.

My point is this, don't worry about it, take small resets when you need them, plan to reset after training breaks due to life's activities, and keep thinking about what it will be like to do more. After 6 months, you will look back and be amazed at the gains you have made if you remain dedicated.

In short: you took a week off and then, when you got back, you missed some reps. Yep, that's what happens when you take time off. You need to go down a little bit or you will miss some stuff. You're at a very low weight, so I'd actually kind of be wondering about whether you're eating enough and stuff (if you're a male), but, yeah, go down maybe 10# of something.

Why did you take a full week off? I have never in my life have had to miss workouts for a week due to being sick and I am close to 50. No excuse, period!!! You should have missed no more then one workout as you would have plenty of time to re-adjust your schedule to fit in a couple of workouts for the week even if you were sick for 3 or 4 days. If it is due to a cold or something similar, then man up and workout regardless.

What is your age, sex, BW? If you're a dude I don't know that I agree with deloading at this point, maybe if the weights were significantly heavier, but you shouldn't have to deload from a 115 lb squat, this should be cake for you at this point, this should be working on form weight and getting into the routine.

Sounds to me like you need to toughen up mentally a tad:

"On the last set, I did 3, and then I guess I psyched myself out because I couldn't force myself to squat down even. "

"The only thing I could think of is that maybe being in a gym I'm not accustomed to for the first time messed with my head more than I realized."
    Last edited by michael dowling; 12-16-2011 at 08:20 AM.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, we've all had bad days. You were sick and missed some time, which (and this is just me speculating) I think messes with your nervous system. So that shit will just feel heavier than it did or should. If it is a trend, though, then I would be more concerned. I also agree with the height, weight, age, genitalia inquiry; 115-lbs is very low for a lot of situations; but it may not be depending on your answers.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by michael dowling View Post
    What is your age, sex, BW? If you're a dude I don't know that I agree with deloading at this point, maybe if the weights were significantly heavier, but you shouldn't have to deload from a 115 lb squat, this should be cake for you at this point, this should be working on form weight and getting into the routine.

Sounds to me like you need to toughen up mentally a tad:

"On the last set, I did 3, and then I guess I psyched myself out because I couldn't force myself to squat down even. "

"The only thing I could think of is that maybe being in a gym I'm not accustomed to for the first time messed with my head more than I realized."
    Heavy is relative. Saying something "should be cake" seems like it would be moot. Wouldn't that depend on the amount of training one's had?