starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 day split check

Default 4 day split check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all. I saw some people posting 4 day intermediate splits where they did volume and intensity in the same week for both bench and press. Basically, I'd like to get more work in on my bench, which is why I'm considering 4 day split vs. traditional TM. Was wondering if this setup has too much stuff going on for upper body?

Mon
    Press intensity
    Bench volume
    Pull ups

Tues
    Volume squat
    Power cleans
    Curls

Thurs
    Bench intensity
    Press volume
    Dips

Fri
    Intensity squat
    Intensity deadlift
    Weighted chins

Lifts at the end of novice progression are:

SQ: 350 3x5
    DL: 405 1x2 (back is a bit wishy washy from injury)
    BP: 225 3x5
    Press: 170 3x5
    BW: 185 @5'7"

no it looks good

What initial set/rep scheme are you going to go for? The VD 5x5 + ID 1x5 standard?

Yep, starting with the standard 5x5 and 1x5. Power cleans are 7x2, bodyweight pullups/dips are 3x failure, and weighted chins/dips might be 5x5.

looks good. But maybe you want to do volume at the end of the week, so you get 4 days before intensity day and come in "fresher", this would keep the same weekly scheme as TM (4 days recovery after VD, 3 days after ID).

I would do

Mon
    Bench intensity
    Press volume
    Dips

Tues
    Intensity squat
    Intensity deadlift
    Weighted chins

Thurs
    Press intensity
    Bench volume
    Pull ups

Fri
    Volume squat
    Power cleans
    Curls

So this gets you the weekend and 4 days to recover after volume session for extra recovery before ID and then 3 days after ID for VD. Compared to what you have now at 3 days recovery from volume and 4 days recovery from intensity.

Have you considered a more frequency dominant, complex-parallel approach? You will be able to perform the specific and special movements, which are the primary drivers of progression, with higher intensity before accumulated fatigue sets in, and perform supplemental work, addressing muscular hypertrophy and weaknesses, as fatigue accumulates throughout the week. It's a program that a lot of lifters have had great sucess with. You cycle weekly reps (weekly undulation), and train different qualities every week and block (complex-parallel) with frequency. Progress from week 1 x6, to week 2 x5, week 3 x4, week 4 x3. Then start back at week 1 this time x5, through to week 4 which will now be x2. Then back to week 1 x6 and keep cycling like this. For an indepth explanation of this frequency program, and more chapters explaining the future of training with RTS principles and protocols, among other invaluable information to any serious strength athlete check out RTS. The manual and seminar DVD is a good place to start. It will be the single best $60 investment you will ever make in your training. And that's just the beginning.

Example:

Mon
    Main squat x3-6: squat
    Main bench x3-6: comp. bench
    Special bench (bottom): pause or pin bench

Tue
    Main DL x3-6: conventional DL
    Secondary bench special (lockout) x3-6: board, bands/chains, high pins, etc
    Squat supplement x6-12: pause, zerchers, fronts, etc

Thu
    Special squat (bottom) x3-6: pause, pins, wraps for overload effect (OE)
    Secondary bench main (triceps/lockout) x3-6: TnG (OE), CGBP, bands/chians
    Main bench supplement (shoulders/bottom) x6-12: DB/BB bench/press/incline, push press

Fri
    Special DL (bottom) x3-6: pause, deficits, bands/chains
    Special bench supplement (triceps/lockout) x6-12: floor press, CGFP, Dips
    DL supplement x6-12: rows, RDL, GM, SSB squats

The manual will explain the concept of primary main, secondary main, primary assist and secondary assist slots. Which movements best target your weaknesses to fill the slots. How to quantify fatigue, implement fatigue measures, and manipulate it to facilitate maximum progress for your individual circumstance. Auto-regulatory protocols at its finest.

Your gains will dwarf that which you can obtain through a generic program neglecting the individualization of each athlete.

Just a suggestion. Good luck with your training, whatever avenue you pursue. Train hard, but smart. And find what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayn View Post
    looks good. But maybe you want to do volume at the end of the week, so you get 4 days before intensity day and come in "fresher", this would keep the same weekly scheme as TM (4 days recovery after VD, 3 days after ID).
    That's a great suggestion. Should I be worried about the pullups and deadlifting affecting my presses on Thursday? With the original setup, I figured 3 days might be enough recovery time from VD squats since I didn't have deadlifts on the same day.

Thanks for the info Mark. I'll look into RTS in the future after I've made my run with a TM type program.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert987 View Post
    That's a great suggestion. Should I be worried about the pullups and deadlifting affecting my presses on Thursday? With the original setup, I figured 3 days might be enough recovery time from VD squats since I didn't have deadlifts on the same day.
    Deadlifts never affected my upper body lifts. Didnt think about the weighted chins being just 2 days before, sorry I just flipped the days.

I do,
    Monday Squat ID (5s then triples then doubles etc) Deadlifts ID
    Tuesday Bench ID 1x5, Press VD 5x5, weighted chins 3x5 , DB bench press 3x6-10 (cant do dips)
    Thursdays Squat VD 5x5, Deadlifts assistance (lately this is just a second deadlift session)
    Friday Press ID 2x3, Bench VD 5x5, LTE 3x10, Curls 3x10.

personally I cant chin/pullup 2x a week due to wrist issues. I would just do chins/pullups on upper body days, if they didn't affect your DL. If they did, then you might just do better by putting them on lower body days.

starting strength coach development program
    I decided to give my original template a shot to see if I could recover from the volume squats. Tomorrow will be squat intensity, and I'm feeling pretty sore today. I'll report back how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast