starting strength gym

Thread: So I missed a press workout

Default So I missed a press workout

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Today I had the Overhead press, and I didn't make the weight. The first set I got 3, then not even a minute later I did another 2(not easy, but not hard), 2nd set 4 straight, 3rd set I got 3. Now when I missed my shoulders didn't feel tired, I wasn't breathing heavy, in fact the weight didn't even feel heavy, it simply just didn't want to budge. What would happen is I would get it above my head fairly simple and the weight would just stop moving, I would try to get under it by throwing my hips back, but no budge and eventually my thoracic would, so I called it a miss.

I don't know what to think of it because it just didn't seem hard, nor easy, no heavy, it just didn't want to move...think its a recovery issue or what. I will say the last workout when I was doing my deadlift warm ups I started with PCs and as the weight got heavy I eventually worked into high pulls, and then jump shrugs before my working set. Do you think that could have fatigued my shoulders enough to fuck me over? My diet was the best the day before not a lot of protein, and well not a lot of food in general. Combination of the two? I'm going to try the weight again next Overhead press workout regardless, but I'm just curious on peoples opinions.

In my experience, missing a press workout is not necessarily cause for alarm. At maximal loads, it is possibly the most difficult with regard to technique. If it's not in the groove, it's impossible. And some days, it's not in the groove.

I have had days like you describe, and done a full reset. I've had days like you described, and redid the weight next press workout. My recommnedation: put it out of your mind as best you can, and hit again next time, same weight. The muscles are so small that get used on this lift, when it's not there, it's not there.

Started to happen to me when I approached the end of LP. Not a big deal. Rest and reattempt.

Not being able to complete your first set is a bit different than simply failing to meet your target. This is likely some acute issue regarding your recovery. Eat well, sleep well and try it again

My press workout yesterday was intended to be 3 sets of five. I completed the first set of 5. On my second set I failed at rep 4. I decided the weight was too heavy, so decided to finish out by doing three more sets of three reps, so that my reps would eventually be 5,3,3,3,3. But my final set I felt strong and banged out 5, so that my sets worked out to be 5,3,3,3,5.

Weird that I was able to finish strong.

I often "miss" when I move up in weight on the press, usually getting something like 5/4/3 or 4/4/3. When that happens I add a fourth or even 5th set so that I get at least 15 reps in total. Then I repeat the same weight at next workout and will be able to get 5/5/5. I also press twice a week and bench one a week, rather than the alternating A/B/A outlined in the novice program, because my bench is progressing more easily than my press.

For me, sets of 5 just seem to be much more challenging on the press than on other exercises. I think it's because it's more technically challenging to maintain form on those last couple of reps.

I agree, JSK. Reaching 15 total reps was my thinking. If I couldn't do it with 3X5, I would get there using 5X3. This was not the first time I got stuck like that. Usually i'll try 5 sets of three reps for two workouts with a new weight, then attempt 3 sets of Five.

starting strength coach development program
    So I did presses again today, same weight...got 5,5,4...what I did notice was the left side was going up significantly slower than the right, about 1-1.5 inches slower. I think it was a technical error by having the left shoulder(arm or elbow) flared? or externally rotated, I'm bad with the terminology but the elbow wasn't the same as the right(which was the proper way elbow in front). Either way, I'll try again on next press day, and really focus on bringing it down correctly, but if it doesn't go smooth, I am going to reset like 5 lbs or so.

On a side, I got bitched at for making too much noise,while lowering my deads. Guy put mats under where the plates should be and said "you should only be slightly touching the floor, not slamming the weight down". I just nodded, I guess I'm going have to bring something to stand on to make up for the bar being higher(about a 1/4-1/3'' higher)..and really lower the weight down slower.