starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny Boy Starting Strong Lift 5x5 / Starting Strength - Lots of questions!

Exclamation Skinny Boy Starting Strong Lift 5x5 / Starting Strength - Lots of questions!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Firstly hello to you all. I have been training for a while but kinda confused on some points so would like further clarification / sensible advice.

I am 6ft 3" and pretty skinny. Always have been really, and most of my life have been able to eat whatever without changing weight - I have always been pretty constant in terms of weight, and it's never fluctuated. I now weigh around 12 Stone.

I'm 30 years old at present, and have recently started Weight Training again (5x5). There's so much info on the net it's hard to pick a program with confidence, but I chose this as it seemed the best one out there (this was before i'd heard of the Starting Strength one).

I am still pretty skinny, and have been eating a fair amount of food along with the training, with a view to packing on some bulk and getting a bit bigger. However, although I am seeing results (small but they're there), I am also aware that I appear to be getting a bit of a belly. Kind of annoying as I do not want to be a skinny guy with a belly! :laugh: It's not bad, but I don't want it to get worse, and it's frustrating as the weight I gain seems to go to my belly rather than my other 'lacking' skinny parts. Chest is an area where I really need to pack out as that accentuates my 'mini belly'. I am painting a terrible picture of myself, i'm not that bad but I am not sure i'm doing the right thing in terms of training and diet. When I tense up and hold my breath my physique looks pretty decent, but when I relax my chest has a tendancy to sit back and my belly sits forward - ha this is a slightly exaggerated description but you know what I mean.

I have been doing 5x5 since the start of 2012 (properly again after dabbling last year), and eating the following most days.

Breakfast 8AM @ Work: Big bowl of porridge with nuts and raisins

Snack 10AM @ Work: 2 x whole Eggs poached in Microwave in 2 slices of brown bread

Lunch 1PM @ Work: Approx 150g Rice and Chicken Breast

Snack 4PM @ Work: 2 slices brown bread with peanut butter

On training day (we have a weights gym at work) I train at about 5-6PM.

Dinner about 8PM: Generally meat, veg and some pasta / rice / spuds etc

I was having a cottage cheese snack or protein shake before bed but haven't been bothering of late. Lately I have been cutting the carbs at night and just having meat and veg to tackle the impending gut, but it doesn't fill me up I must say - I love the pasta!

In regard to my lifts, I can squat an ok amount, deadlift and ok amount, and bent over rows aren't too bad either, but my bench is pretty whack as well as my overhead press (which is pathetic!) I really struggle with it.

Max squat now is approx 70Kg (longer olympic style bar and 25Kg each side)

Deadlift (haven't maxed that yet only at approx 40Kg (shorter olympic bar and 15Kg each side)

Bench press has increased a little since trying creatine to approx 50Kg (shorter bar and 15Kg each side)

Bent over row is the same as bench, but my overhead press is totally whack at like 15Kg total! (short bar and 5Kg a side). Have done a few reps with 7.5Kg each side but i'm normally tired after the squats and the warm up reps so it suffers. I currently weigh in at about 12 stone too.

I climb a bit too, and I found when doing that regularly I had a lot of upper body strength for pulling my weight up, and one arm pull ups etc which my mate who can bench 100Kg struggles with, but I still stall on some of the bar bell exercises.

The 5x5 really helps improve climbing strength, but I am wondering if I should perhaps try the Starting Strength program instead as my goals are more orientated towards bulk and size, but then I don't want to turn into a big bellied power lifter either! :blink: You know what I mean anyway.

My questions generally relate to my diet and the program i'm on. Some of the boys at work are into the gym and they reckon i'm eating too much and the training doesn't support the 'diet'. I also sit on my **** all day at a desk so getting a belly is inevitable. I like to think my form on the weights I use is pretty good, and i'll always deload if I struggle too much as I don't want to blow a gasket trying to lift too much.

Finally I don't really love the idea of suppliments but have been using the reflex natural protein as well as some creapure of late. Creapure seems to have more noticeable affects, and I am unsure of sticking on the protein as i'm worried it's adding to the belly further. I am aware you can't build muscle with getting a little fat, but I would like to do things right the first time round.

Anyway sorry for such a long first post, but i'm looking for some advice (hopefully I won't get a million conflicting opinions also), and i've read most of the online bumpf that I can but I can't really decide what will suit me best. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance!

Jsutt Guest

So wait, what are you actually asking? If you stick with some kind of progressive barbell training program, whether it's stronglifts or SS, for the next couple of months I'm pretty sure most of your uncertainties will naturally resolve themselves. And you're not eating too much, that's a pretty lean diet.

Ok thanks. Well I was generally asking for overall advice but more specific questions would be as follows:

1) Should I be considering the SS program rather than 5x5 - which is more effective for my goals?
    2) Am I eating too many carbs / fat hence getting a bit of a belly?

Also I am about to plateau on some of these weights - do I just de-load and start again or keep plugging away at my maximum weight until I can add more?

I am keeping a diary and have completed 10 workouts since the begining of Jan.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis. View Post
    1) Should I be considering the SS program rather than 5x5 - which is more effective for my goals?
    Switch to 3x5 when you think you want to deload. There is no need for 5x5 to make progress. Deadlifts can go down to 1x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis. View Post
    2) Am I eating too many carbs / fat hence getting a bit of a belly?

Also I am about to plateau on some of these weights - do I just de-load and start again or keep plugging away at my maximum weight until I can add more?
    At those weights, you're probably not eating enough. Get more protein in your diet.

And deadlift 135 pounds for your next session.
    Last edited by unclean; 02-02-2012 at 05:20 PM.

1. You are on the Starting Strength website, therefore we will advise you to do Starting Strength.
    2. You may be eating too many carbs for the weight you are lifting, the solution is to eat more protein and lift more weight.
    This brings us to #3: I have been about to plateau on most of my lifts for months, but I go in, add another 1/8th pood to the bar, and more often than not it goes up.
    4. You should post videos to the technique forum. You say your form is good, you also give your weight in stone. Clearly comparing yourself to standard measurements is not your strong suite.
    5. This is a site about a program written by an American and followed by an international audience. If you cannot be bothered to convert weights into standard units I shall mock you by converting weights into pood. Then I shall mock you again.
    This is enough free advice for one day, the next piece will cost you: Buy the book.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Philbert; 02-02-2012 at 05:13 PM.

You really should buy "Starting Strength 3rd Ed" by Mark Rippetoe and read it. There's so much you will miss if you don't. We can give dietary advice for what it's worth, but you need to get a bigger picture in my opinion.

You're going to be gaining some fat on the program if you're eating right. There's a lot of starchy carbs in there, which can be pretty calorie dense, you could cut some of those and see if you recover just as well.

Hey Lewis - it's a bit unclear what your goals are.
    1) You're deciding between 2 strength training programs but "don't want to blow a gasket trying to lift too much"
    2) Wondering if your diet's right but "sit on my **** all day at a desk so getting a belly is inevitable"

If you are serious about getting strong then buy the book starting strength and follow it.
    If you're just experimenting then follow the starting strength program and not stronglifts. They both work but starting strength is the more optimal program for strength gains.

As long as you make the reps and forms ok increase the weight next time.

Jsutt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    5. This is a site about a program written by an American and followed by an international audience. If you cannot be bothered to convert weights into standard units I shall mock you by converting weights into pood. Then I shall mock you again.
    You mean like all the measurements in pounds on this website? (never get tired of this argument)

OP: A new trainee often has trouble distinguishing between 'about to stall' and 'working hard.' You have to actually fail to complete your lifts before you deload, don't do so prematurely. As you get more experience you'll be better able to judge whether you can make the next weight or not, but for now just keep adding to the bar every time.

Also if you can't be bothered buying Rippetoe's book you should at least substitute power cleans for barbell rows (hire a PT to teach you how if you can't work it out), and stop reading Stronglifts.com, there's too much BS on there, it'll rot your brain. You can probably keep up 5x5 for a couple months more if you really want to but sooner or later you won't be able to keep up with that kind of volume every workout.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsutt View Post
    You mean like all the measurements in pounds on this website? (never get tired of this argument)
    The only reason to excuse the use of pounds is their common use in the United States, which is the origin of this program. Otherwise, yes.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast