starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise routines

Default Exercise routines

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Are exercise routines with lots of exercises productive?
    I am asking this because the guy who lives at the place I train tells me that living heavy weights is silly and that I should do more exercises to shape the muscles.

This is not the starting shape forum. Define productive.

Obvious troll is so obvious that I'm not sure if obvious troll is actually a troll at all.

Obvious troll obviously has not read the book

I have the book. I am not a troll.
    I am training similarly to SS.
    I am very serious, and the guy who told me this has a bodybuilding background.

Are bodybuilding routines useful for naturals or are they only good for drugged bodybuilders?
    I need answers
    Last edited by Squat1; 02-15-2012 at 11:22 PM.

If you want serious answers to your question, you should probably find a forum populated by bodybuilders.

Quote Originally Posted by Squat1 View Post
    I have the book. I am not a troll.
    I am training similarly to SS.
    I am very serious, and the guy who told me this has a bodybuilding background.

Are bodybuilding routines useful for naturals or are they only good for drugged bodybuilders?
    I need answers
    I'll bite.

Are you interested in bodybuilding or getting strong? No matter the answer, stick to SS until your novice progression is complete. If you want to be strong, then find another strength program for intermediate lifters. If you want to bodybuild, then go to bodybuilding.com and find something there that suits you. "Shaping" the muscles is a useless term. Muscles grow or get smaller. They grow when you lift heavy weights and eat appropriately, and this is precisely what the SS novice progression asks you to do.

How old are you? Why do you care what someone has to say about your training program?

I am 23
    My objective is to be both big and strong.
    I care what he says because I train at his garage and I train heavy particularly with squats i.e 170kg x 6
    I have sometimes trained unattended, and I guess deadlifts and squats can cause back injuries.
    Also there are no safety pins

Quote Originally Posted by Squat1 View Post
    I am 23
    My objective is to be both big and strong.
    I care what he says because I train at his garage and I train heavy particularly with squats i.e 170kg x 6
    I have sometimes trained unattended, and I guess deadlifts and squats can cause back injuries.
    Also there are no safety pins
    Any time you lift weights you can cause an injury. There is no reason to think you have a higher chance of injury because you are squatting and deadlifting as opposed to leg presses and rows.

starting strength coach development program
    If you do squats alone without safety pins, use saw horses. They are cheap and allow you to lift heavy, safely.

On the other point, anyone who tell you that "living[sic] heavy weights is silly" has lost any credibility in regards to weight training and shouldn't be listened to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast