starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally: Nutrition

Damn Jordan is strong!

Appreciate you guys tackling such a challenging topic, but, unfortunately (for me), I remain confused. Maybe my situation (age, weight, etc.) makes this especially complicated.

Here are my stats:

1. I'm older -- 52
    2. I'm kind of fat -- BMI of 31
    3. I'm weak -- 150 lb squat, 200 lb deadlift 2 weeks after re-starting (at 255 lb bodyweight, 6ft 4in height)

I'm working on novice progression for the third time after a shoulder injury and life getting in the way.

Here's what I want (goals):
    1) to stay healthy as late into my lifespan as possible,
    2) to be usefully strong (is a 405 squat out of reach, at this point?) and
    3) to cut a decent figure (i.e., I'm not looking for abz, but wouldn't mind not having the gut).

IF I am interpreting what you are saying in this video, correctly, it makes sense to aim to get strong first even if that requires staying or getting *fatter*. After I have reached an asymptote of strength, I could think about trimming some fat -- but, by your logic, won't I then give up muscle and strength when trimming down? So, whatever my squat gets to at 30+ BMI, my squat at a more reasonable BMI of 20 will likely be some lesser percentage of that?

Am I generally following or making some mistake, here? (I'm really not looking for free detailed coaching about my own situation, so much as using a case I am intimately familiar with to see if I am following what you are saying.)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKreg View Post
    IF I am interpreting what you are saying in this video, correctly, it makes sense to aim to get strong first even if that requires staying or getting *fatter*. After I have reached an asymptote of strength, I could think about trimming some fat -- but, by your logic, won't I then give up muscle and strength when trimming down? So, whatever my squat gets to at 30+ BMI, my squat at a more reasonable BMI of 20 will likely be some lesser percentage of that?
    BMI is not a useful metric for a lifter. Search the board.

Is there some benefit to losing fat weight as a novice in terms of having less to move for the squat? I would imagine maybe it's easier to squat 315 at 200 lbs at 20% bf vs 260 with a 40% bf at the same height and training advancement/nervous system

Coach, you should get the monkey (on top of directing and producing) to title the podcasts to increase views. In this case: how to eat to add 100lbs to squat! or 'doctors hate them' one simple trick to dropping fat while gaining muscle!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy King View Post
    Damn Jordan is strong!
    I was just listening to this last night and I really had a "wow" moment there. How tall is he?

Humbling numbers, have to say. What was that face Rip made on the video, just before he said "That's a pretty good deadlift"? Was it, perhaps, surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    BMI is not a useful metric for a lifter. Search the board.
    29.48 % according to an online body fat calculator (Body Fat Calculator & Body Fat Percentage Calculator) - is that adequate?

There is no such thing as an online bodyfat calculator that operates with no input other than a keyboard.

starting strength coach development program

Here are my stats:
    IF I am interpreting what you are saying in this video, correctly, it makes sense to aim to get strong first even if that requires staying or getting *fatter*.

Am I generally following or making some mistake, here? (I'm really not looking for free detailed coaching about my own situation, so much as using a case I am intimately familiar with to see if I am following what you are saying.)
    You don't need to gain any weight at this time. You just need to train and more or less maintain your weight, maybe losing a pound or two (or gaining a pound or two). Without knowing anything else, that's what I'd recommend,

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Is there some benefit to losing fat weight as a novice in terms of having less to move for the squat? I would imagine maybe it's easier to squat 315 at 200 lbs at 20% bf vs 260 with a 40% bf at the same height and training advancement/nervous system
    How would there be any appreciable difference on the amount of force production of the muscles against an external resistance with the weight differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiedemies View Post
    I was just listening to this last night and I really had a "wow" moment there. How tall is he?

Humbling numbers, have to say. What was that face Rip made on the video, just before he said "That's a pretty good deadlift"? Was it, perhaps, surprise?
    I'm 5'10.

29.48 % according to an online body fat calculator (Body Fat Calculator & Body Fat Percentage Calculator) - is that adequate?
    See above, even though online calculators are not useful in general.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast