starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Podcast #40: Nutrition!!!!

So for a young, healthy person on GOMAD and eating high protein meals, 75g protein shakes are completely unnecessary..?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Great stuff.

You mentioned an article -- does that mean it's in the works?

(Also, at the risk of raising a sore subject, years ago there was talk of a book...?).

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    Great stuff.

(Also, at the risk of raising a sore subject, years ago there was talk of a book...?).
    I have a few articles in the works:

- The Death Penalty: On Steroids in Sport
    - The Doctor Problem: On Protein, Creatine, and Exercise
    - The Insulin Problem: Why Low Carb doesn't mean Low Insulin
    - The Glasses Problem: Why being a hipster glasses bitch boy with a big total gets you trolled on the Internet

The writing for the book comes in waves. I edit it frequently and find new stuff I want to put in there. It's not ready to be formatted and published yet and there are some other barriers to that ATM. I have some vacation time coming up and on my to-do list is "finish book" so that i no longer get anxiety from it, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    Great stuff.

I have a few articles in the works:

- The Death Penalty: On Steroids in Sport
    - The Doctor Problem: On Protein, Creatine, and Exercise
    - The Insulin Problem: Why Low Carb doesn't mean Low Insulin
    - The Glasses Problem: Why being a hipster glasses bitch boy with a big total gets you trolled on the Internet

The writing for the book comes in waves. I edit it frequently and find new stuff I want to put in there. It's not ready to be formatted and published yet and there are some other barriers to that ATM. I have some vacation time coming up and on my to-do list is "finish book" so that i no longer get anxiety from it, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    haha. This will be ground-breaking.

Jordan, can you explain to me why exercise or more specifically strength training is important is maintaining the correct ratio of blood sugar and insulin within the body? I did not get to hear the whole pod cast so I am not sure if you discussed that.

My favorite part is when Rip tells him to say it in layman's terms and he agrees and then immediately talks about the cephalic reflex affecting the secretory tracts of the beta cells of the pancreas

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Jordan, can you explain to me why exercise or more specifically strength training is important is maintaining the correct ratio of blood sugar and insulin within the body? I did not get to hear the whole pod cast so I am not sure if you discussed that.
    Training allows glucose to be taken up by the body without insulin during and after training and also makes the skeletal muscle mass store more glucose, use more glucose, which tends to improve insulin sensitivity in these tissues. It (training) doesn't tend to directly raise or lower insulin directly, however.

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    My favorite part is when Rip tells him to say it in layman's terms and he agrees and then immediately talks about the cephalic reflex affecting the secretory tracts of the beta cells of the pancreas
    Ha! Well, somethings cannot be simplified despite what people on the Internet will say.

starting strength coach development program
    I like this podcast a lot. I think this is mostly understandable to a layman, but then again, perhaps "layman" may mean different things to different people.

I am curious though about the MPS response to protein in meals, you talked about the response in the podcast and I am not sure I understood your view on this correctly.

I tried some googling about the stuff but I only got a couple of papers on it from scholar, and a ton of silly bullshit from T-nation and others. You mentioned it is pretty much an "all or nothing" thing, so to clarify, if I have a meal that has, say, about 30g of well-balanced proteins like whey or beef or eggs or something like this, then it should be enough to elicit this response, but if I have about, say 15g in two snacks say 90 minutes apart, I don't get this response, or at least its magnitude will be less and the total effect is smaller?

I'm just curious about this, as I sometimes have busy days during which it is hard to get a good meal, so instead I eat small snacks to the same total protein content. I'll definitely switch my approach if this is detrimental...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast