starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird setbacks, has this happened to anyone?

Default Weird setbacks, has this happened to anyone?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I recently got back from vacation and tried to pick up SS linear progression at 255 on squat, after previously getting 280x5x3 before the trip. It was surprisingly difficult which was frustrating. I then did 205 on bench for the same reps, went smoothly. I then tried DL at 315, after leaving it at 330 before the vacation. On the third rep i was half way up and i felt a weird twinge in the middle of my spine. I put the weight down and walked around for a bit. I then pulled the weight again very slowly but decided that it was a bad idea. Yesterday I went back and did 260 on squat. On the fifth rep of the first set i felt the same pain and racked the weight. It was the kind of pain that you don't want to work through, it felt like it could definitely lead to a much more serious back injury.

OKAY, so I was thinking that i should just stop lifting heavy for a while and then work back up slowly after a long break. I don't know, I appreciate any opinions or similar stories. I'm 19, male, 6'1", and 195 lbs. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by S.Sherwood View Post
    I recently got back from vacation and tried to pick up SS linear progression at 255 on squat, after previously getting 280x5x3 before the trip. It was surprisingly difficult which was frustrating. I then did 205 on bench for the same reps, went smoothly. I then tried DL at 315, after leaving it at 330 before the vacation. On the third rep i was half way up and i felt a weird twinge in the middle of my spine. I put the weight down and walked around for a bit. I then pulled the weight again very slowly but decided that it was a bad idea. Yesterday I went back and did 260 on squat. On the fifth rep of the first set i felt the same pain and racked the weight. It was the kind of pain that you don't want to work through, it felt like it could definitely lead to a much more serious back injury.

OKAY, so I was thinking that i should just stop lifting heavy for a while and then work back up slowly after a long break. I don't know, I appreciate any opinions or similar stories. I'm 19, male, 6'1", and 195 lbs. Thanks!
    How long were you on vacation for?
    Anatomically, where is the middle of the spine you are referring to (Use a picure).
    The nature of the injury isn't clear. We need more details as many as you can give.

It's because the magnetic poles are shifting.

How long of a vacation? But, yes, it frequently happens that people get hurt or have trouble on the first workout back after a break. It sounds like you definitely did something to your mid-back. If you keep having it while training, you will not be able to keep training. Your options are (1) figuring out what's wrong and finding out how to treat it or (2) sitting around and waiting to see if it clears up on its own. (2) has a certain charm because it might turn out that that's how to treat your specific problem (I recently did something to my mid-back and that was the proper treatment), but, if you can afford it and think it's worthwhile, give (1) a shot.

Thanks for the replies! The vacation was 4 days long, but the actual length between the 280lb squat and 255lb squat was a week. I got food sickness after the 280lb squat training day and couldn't eat for a day or two (i was also up all that night puking and probably very dehydrated). It was a few days after the sickness that I left on vacation. I figured the combination of the two would result in a decently large deload. The "pain" itself came from the T4 or T5 vertebrae (I think). I suspect that the problem originated from poor form on the deadlift (rounding back) combined with the short vacation break and loss of muscle mass from being sick. I don't recall any previous injuries in the same area. The pain doesn't appear to be muscular in nature because their are no aches and no feeling of injury until I am actually under a load. However, once i am under the load the pain is quick and crippling (I think this is because it has not progressed enough to be an "injury"). I think the best thing to do is to play the waiting game and start with light squats and deadlift in a few weeks. What are your thoughts? Once again thank you for the replies

Im full of annoying setbacks. At the same time I decided to start lifting (about 2 years ago) I tore the ligaments in my right knee. These things are kind of permanent, the ligaments will not rebuild/re-attach. So I was left with a fucked knee/immobile leg right before I wanted to begin improving my physical ability!

It took months to get mobile again, over a year before severe knee pain, popping/clicking/limited ROM subsided. I squatted throughout this time and I think It helped. But I have have been left with permanent/chronic hamstring tendonosis/spasm which no one has a clue how to treat. Seen many doctors, orthopaedic consultants, physio's and even surgeons.

In addition to this I have always had shoulder impingement problems and recurrent subluxation and tearing. Plus about 8 months ago I sprained my wrist, and it still isnt better.

How old are you dastardly? I've had chronic patellar tendinitis for about 2 and 1/2 years, not at all an equal comparison but ive found that no matter how much it hurts i can keep on squatting. Hopefully my back doesn't turn into a similar problem, but I will be grateful if im able to at least continue to squat at some point. Are you still able to perform the exercises and have linear strength progression?

Consider throwing in some back extension or reverse hypers to keep your lower back strong while you take this deload/layoff. Maybe glute ham raises if you have access to a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Sherwood View Post
    How old are you dastardly? I've had chronic patellar tendinitis for about 2 and 1/2 years, not at all an equal comparison but ive found that no matter how much it hurts i can keep on squatting. Hopefully my back doesn't turn into a similar problem, but I will be grateful if im able to at least continue to squat at some point. Are you still able to perform the exercises and have linear strength progression?
    Yeah, I continue squatting of course. Without squatting I get knee pain/instability which is worse! I also enjoy lifting, obviously.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Im full of annoying setbacks. At the same time I decided to start lifting (about 2 years ago) I tore the ligaments in my right knee. These things are kind of permanent, the ligaments will not rebuild/re-attach. So I was left with a fucked knee/immobile leg right before I wanted to begin improving my physical ability!

It took months to get mobile again, over a year before severe knee pain, popping/clicking/limited ROM subsided. I squatted throughout this time and I think It helped. But I have have been left with permanent/chronic hamstring tendonosis/spasm which no one has a clue how to treat. Seen many doctors, orthopaedic consultants, physio's and even surgeons.

In addition to this I have always had shoulder impingement problems and recurrent subluxation and tearing. Plus about 8 months ago I sprained my wrist, and it still isnt better.
    You're just a bucket of disaster. Dastardly, I'm surprised a plane hasn't landed on you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast