starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep/don't keep doing SS?

Default Keep/don't keep doing SS?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I'm at a loss here. Been doing SS since August of last year (roughly 9 months), and I don't know whether to keep doing it or not.
    Thing is, my lifts are still really shitty, mostly because I was very skinny (70 kg / 154 lbs at 193 cm / 6'4'') and didn't know my shit for the first few months (also wasn't able to squat for roughly 5 weeks); as you can see from the picture my only intermediate lift is my deadlift, while bench presses aren't even novice-tier yet
    I'm stalling on pretty much every lift though, and my progress is exceptionally slow, I'm eating at about 4000 calories a day
    Been gaining weight at 0.7 kg / 1.54 lbs for most of the time and still am

Quote Originally Posted by bwerter View Post
    I'm at a loss here. Been doing SS since August of last year (roughly 9 months), and I don't know whether to keep doing it or not.
    Thing is, my lifts are still really shitty, mostly because I was very skinny (70 kg / 154 lbs at 193 cm / 6'4'') and didn't know my shit for the first few months (also wasn't able to squat for roughly 5 weeks); as you can see from the picture my only intermediate lift is my deadlift, while bench presses aren't even novice-tier yet
    I'm stalling on pretty much every lift though, and my progress is exceptionally slow, I'm eating at about 4000 calories a day
    Been gaining weight at 0.7 kg / 1.54 lbs for most of the time and still am
    EAT

MORE

FOOD.

At your height you should be much heavier. How has your sleep been? A 165 estimated max single makes me think your bench form needs some work. Also, how old are you?

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

thats the one ive always compared to and it says a novice is someone whos been training for several month.

what were your starting lifts then?

That table is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Syzygy View Post
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

thats the one ive always compared to and it says a novice is someone whos been training for several month.

what were your starting lifts then?
    Afraid I didn't write them down, but very weak, hardly the bar for bench press iirc

Quote Originally Posted by Brahstafarian View Post
    EAT

MORE

FOOD.

At your height you should be much heavier. How has your sleep been? A 165 estimated max single makes me think your bench form needs some work. Also, how old are you?
    My sleep SHOULD be good, I always go to bed at 8 and get up at 6:30, which results in 10:30 hours best case scenario, thing is I have Insomnia, so most times it ends up being 8 to 9 hours. My bench press form is pretty decent I think, always pinching shoulder blades, imaginary glass on chest et cetera, but I'll look into improving it. Isn't a comparatively low bench press common among tall people though?
    I'm 18

My sleep SHOULD be good, I always go to bed at 8 and get up at 6:30, which results in 10:30 hours best case scenario, thing is I have Insomnia, so most times it ends up being 8 to 9 hours. My bench press form is pretty decent I think, always pinching shoulder blades, imaginary glass on chest et cetera, but I'll look into improving it. Isn't a comparatively low bench press common among tall people though?
    I'm 18
    10h30m?!? how do you get anything done? I'd have insomnia too if I tried to sleep that long.

I'm 18
    sorry did you just say you have insomnia and worse case scenario is u get 8 hours sleep haha?

Well 8 hours is pretty optimal so it comes down to poor eating and poor form.

Long arms aren't the best for benching so you might not ever be great at it but you can most definitely get decent numbers.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    10h30m?!? how do you get anything done? I'd have insomnia too if I tried to sleep that long.
    I tried going to bed at 10 and 9 getting up at the same time before - I always end up getting less than 8 hours of sleep like that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast