starting strength gym

Thread: bench press observation

Default bench press observation

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've noticed that the motion of lowering the weight to my chest then pushing it back always seems easier than what it takes to unrack the weight by myself/hold it up. I feel that on the insides of my forearms. Does this indicate anything in particular?

I'm not strong enough to do chin ups yet. I intend to start doing things to assist in gaining that specific strength on top of my normal training. I only mention this because whenever I try, I notice that I feel it in the exact same place on my arms. Which seems weird to me because during bench, that part of me is pushing, but during chin ups, that part of me is pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by dsayers View Post
    I've noticed that the motion of lowering the weight to my chest then pushing it back always seems easier than what it takes to unrack the weight by myself/hold it up. I feel that on the insides of my forearms. Does this indicate anything in particular?

I'm not strong enough to do chin ups yet. I intend to start doing things to assist in gaining that specific strength on top of my normal training. I only mention this because whenever I try, I notice that I feel it in the exact same place on my arms. Which seems weird to me because during bench, that part of me is pushing, but during chin ups, that part of me is pulling.
    Take a video. It could be your setup and/or technique with the unrack. It could be poorly designed or poorly configured equipment. It could be that the unrack in the bench press is kind of a pain in the ass. Video will help us make smarter guesses about which.

Seconded on video.

The first thing I thought of when I read your post is the fact that there is probably a moment arm when unracking the weight, that is not there when you have it unracked and over (the correct spot on) your chest. Hopefully you have read the book and the term "moment arm" will not be foreign.

But, yet again, as Adam said, video will show if it is setup/technique/equipment.

Sunday will be a bench press day. I guess I'll put some clothes on and take a video. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by dsayers View Post
    I'll put some clothes on and take a video.
    2 excellent ideas.