starting strength gym

Thread: Chins and pull ups for increased strenght in the benchpress and press

Default Chins and pull ups for increased strenght in the benchpress and press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

In startingh strength you mention that chins and pull ups are an important ancillary exercise also for the bench and press. I have started doing chins and pull ups alternately 3 x a week in november but while my chin and pull up reps have gone up slowly and steadily i haven't noticed any carryover for the bench and press.

cheers Jeroen

Sorry. This is obviously my fault. Stop doing them, since they are a waste of time.

Ha ha no i like doing them. I was just expecting some extra increase in bench press and press strenght since my my pull up and chin reps got up and up since i started doing them while remaining at the same bodyweight

cheers

I recently incorporated chins and high rep rows and my bench press really took off. I believe my upper back size got bigger which gave me a better base to push off of. Think about using your new upper back muscle to build a stable base at the bottom of the bench press. Your upper back is an area you may want to try for some hypertrophy (size) because the added mass really helps you in your pressing exercises, not mention it shortens your ROM on the bench press. These high-rep exercises are best done at the end of a workout because they are less strenuous.

&

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    "... started doing chins and pull ups alternately 3 x a week in november... "
    Something is wrong :P