starting strength gym

Thread: wrist pain

Default wrist pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello.

I was reckless with the wrist angle during press five days ago and felt something in my wrist as I was pushing the bar up from my chest. It wasn't too bad as I could finish my training session with no major problems. However, i have felt some "tension", numbness and soreness days after.
    I took a rest until today. At todays training session I did feel my hand and wrist "warm" up during the benchpress, so I decided not to push it too much. Did deadlift without major problems.

So, my question is what is the best way to deal with wrist-inujuries? Should I take extended rest from training? Or could I train normally, but with less intensity?
    Are using wrist-wraps recommended for this?

Thank you for responding =)

Yes, any time anything hurts, even a little, you should take a 6-month layoff from training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, any time anything hurts, even a little, you should take a 6-month layoff from training.
    Do you really have to wait until something hurts? That seems a little reckless.

I think you have to Grab for the Gusto. Walk on the Wild Side. Test the Ice. Push the Envelope. Dare the Devil. Beard the Tiger. Wait until something hurts before you stop training for 6 months.

Even if I never lifted again, I would stay for the sarcasm.

Haha....thank you for that Absolutely love the sarcasm! I was really looking for confirmation to continue training, cause when I have been told by from young age by the "doctors" and alike that you must stop when it hurts, then it is hard to change that approach to training. I have never been really good at stopping training though, cause it is just so much fun!

The tiger will be bearded...... or something like that!

You left out, Bell the Cat. Sail the sea in a sieve. Double the blind. Sit a barrel of gunpowder. Hang by a thread. Take a shot in the dark. There you go you sultan of the synonymous.

Rip really knows his shit here. I tried this because I had some pain while squatting, and this helped me mainitain the strength and physique I have today.

6'3", 420 lbs., Squat 90(lbs), Press 55, DL 110, BP 75.

So use that as your lesson folks. Lay off training for minor aches, and be like me...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mags View Post
    Haha....thank you for that Absolutely love the sarcasm! I was really looking for confirmation to continue training, cause when I have been told by from young age by the "doctors" and alike that you must stop when it hurts, then it is hard to change that approach to training.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...030#post529030