starting strength gym

Thread: asymmetrical presses

Default asymmetrical presses

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey coaches, my presses go up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0x0x69gQqs

Is there anything I can do to correct it?

That doesn't look like more than a minor asymmetry. But this one is simple: Focus on pressing evenly. Focus hard on it. If that doesn't work, go down to the heaviest weight you can press symmetrically and then work up in small increments from there.

I thought about that, problem is basically everything I do in the gym that involves shoulders is asymmetric. Bar is tilted on squats as well, it sits a little bit higher on my right shoulder.
    I checked for a short leg/arm, scoliosis, tilted pelvis and I have none of these. The only asymmetrical thing I have found is flexibility, when I do this stretch my right shoulder is much tighter than the left one. (working on it)

You think asymmetrical flexibility could be the culprit?

If I could add my 2 cents: I had/still have a similar asymmetry in my press, and what helps me the most is paying attention to my feet. I thought that my stance was fairly even, until one day I actually looked at my feet and realized that one was much further back than the other, and also pointed out more. If I focus on keeping even feet, the press seems to clean up. Don't know if this applies to OP.

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Hey coaches, my presses go up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0x0x69gQqs

Is there anything I can do to correct it?
    Have you ever broken an elbow in the past?

I don't think that's anything to worry about. I broke my elbow and didn't do anything other than the press and bench to rehab it. (Ok, I did some curls too.) Just think about where the bar is and where it has to end up and don't worry about perfection.

Asymmetrical flexibility is not the culprit here. And the asymmetry really isn't very pronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bono View Post
    Have you ever broken an elbow in the past?
    Yes I have broken my Medial epicondyle. How do you know?!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Asymmetrical flexibility is not the culprit here. And the asymmetry really isn't very pronounced.
    Ok Wolf, I'll try to press evenly if I can and if that doesn't work I'll just ignore the asymmetry since it doesn't hurt.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Yes I have broken my Medial epicondyle. How do you know?!
    I broke my elbow when I was in first grade. It wasn't until 40 years later that I realized just how fubared my ROM was in that arm, and that was by looking in a mirror when I did a barbell press. I have something like a 5 to 10 degree deficit in extension, a 20 degree deficit in flexion, and the forearm/wrist is rotated inward at least 30 degrees. (When I was rehabbing my Achilles, I had my PT and ortho check the ROM) I have a tough time holding a rack position in a clean or front squat, and because of the rotation in the elbow, it causes my entire left shoulder to rotate back during a press:

I never really had a good rack position to start the press with, and when the weights got heavy enough, I'd get a sharp pain in my left rear delt. I decided it would be better to do presses with dumbbells instead because I can keep the elbows in the right position and let the wrists do whatever they want. I was also able to press correctly with an ez-curl bar, but my gym doesn't have an 8ft ez-curl bar.

I checked for a short leg/arm, scoliosis, tilted pelvis and I have none of these. The only asymmetrical thing I have found is flexibility, when I do this stretch my right shoulder is much tighter than the left one. (working on it)
    If your history is the same as mine, my guess is that the flexible shoulder is the one with the broken elbow. The shoulder will pick up the slack in mobility for what the elbow can't do.