starting strength gym

Thread: shoulder pain from squats

Default shoulder pain from squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Rip, I just completed your cert in Longwood, FL and have been trying to adopt the correct form on the squat. Our gym did a crossfit total yesterday and most of them got the form with the bar below the scapula in that ridge with elbows up. When it became my turn, I was extremely uncomfortable with my shoulders in that position. I sucked it up at the cert. but it was unbearable yesterday when I tried 185. It feels as though I have no flexability when it comes to placement of the hands, elbows and position of the bar. How do I fix this or is it just practice makes perfect? By the way GREAT time at cert. Pluto misses you guys.

Pluto's my buddy. The thing to start with is a vicious massage of the anterior and posterior shoulders, one that does not feel good at the time done by someone you don't want to be your friend. It may be that old injuries and tight soft tissue could be the problem. If this doesn't work, you could try bourbon before you squat.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliate...%20Cert_th.jpg

Smile

God, you make me laugh. I am new to this forum or any for that fact. I then realized that I should of searched for my answer before bothering you. As I began reading the threads I was educated as well as entertained. You are a scream with your comebacks!! Great forum! Thank you for the advise. By the way I tried 205 on the deadlift and failed, again. Being sick didn't help or the 5 attempts on 185 on the squat. However, as soon as I do, I will sing praise to you. Have a good one!

I have a similar question about bar placement. I'm training a kid at work (6' 150lbs) who has little muscle. When he puts the bar in the low bar position, with elbows up and in, there doesn't seem to be enough muscle to keep the bar from rolling down. This problem should correct itself as he gets bigger (he says eating more makes him feel better, go figure), but what can I do with his squat until then? I was thinking high bar for now. ANy suggestions?