starting strength gym

Thread: Swiss Bar

Default Swiss Bar

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip

What are your thoughts of using a Swiss Bar for reducing stress on the shoulder for the press and the bench? Jim Wendler recommends it but I wanted to get your take on using it. My shoulders are starting to hurt more and at 55 I am more interested in just being able to lift and stay as strong as possible without totally screwing myself up. I did search and I did find your response from 2009 but wondering if you have had more experience with it since then.

Thanks

Still have not used it.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear59 View Post
    What are your thoughts of using a Swiss Bar for reducing stress on the shoulder for the press and the bench? Jim Wendler recommends it but I wanted to get your take on using it. My shoulders are starting to hurt more and at 55 I am more interested in just being able to lift and stay as strong as possible without totally screwing myself up.
    I stopped bench pressing for over 10 years from shoulder problems in my 40's. At 60 I started doing them again after being advised to take a more narrow grip. My shoulder problems did not recur until I got careless and started widening my grip. When I grumbled about it in my log, the kind folks here asked me if I was still using a narrower grip. I saw the light and narrowed my grip again. Now at 63, my shoulders feel fine.

This may resolve your concerns as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I stopped bench pressing for over 10 years from shoulder problems in my 40's. At 60 I started doing them again after being advised to take a more narrow grip. My shoulder problems did not recur until I got careless and started widening my grip. When I grumbled about it in my log, the kind folks here asked me if I was still using a narrower grip. I saw the light and narrowed my grip again. Now at 63, my shoulders feel fine.

This may resolve your concerns as well.
    +1 on this, post shoulder surgery I've found taking a narrower grip on the bench has helped manage any shoulder pain pretty well.

I've used a Swiss bar for the press and like it, however your grip width is predetermined by the bar and at 6'7 I found it to be a bit constricting.

Like all things, play around with all the options until something works for you.