starting strength gym

Thread: Press Layback - how bad is it?

Default Press Layback - how bad is it?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Good evening, Rip. I hope you're not getting writer's cramp from signing all those books. Here's a poorly shot video of me pressing 170 for a single at a bodyweight of 162 (I already realize that's unacceptable and I'm working on it)
    www.youtube.com/embed/nqbPVMrl3PI

I can see that this is red-lightable because the bar actually started to come back down at one point. I'm going to re-set and work my way back up, but is this amount of layback totally unacceptable and can you offer any cues to help me keep it in check going forward? Is there anything else I'm doing blatantly wrong besides obviously not being strong enough to lift the weight correctly?

The layback is not unacceptable, but you really need some coaching on this. Stance is too narrow, hips are not moving enough if your trying to do the "2.0" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The layback is not unacceptable, but you really need some coaching on this. Stance is too narrow, hips are not moving enough if your trying to do the "2.0" style.
    2.0 took me a couple of sessions to get down. Now my boys and I love it.

OP, keep working for 200. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    Good evening, Rip. I hope you're not getting writer's cramp from signing all those books. Here's a poorly shot video of me pressing 170 for a single at a bodyweight of 162 (I already realize that's unacceptable and I'm working on it)
    www.youtube.com/embed/nqbPVMrl3PI

I can see that this is red-lightable because the bar actually started to come back down at one point. I'm going to re-set and work my way back up, but is this amount of layback totally unacceptable and can you offer any cues to help me keep it in check going forward? Is there anything else I'm doing blatantly wrong besides obviously not being strong enough to lift the weight correctly?
    First the ball busting: It amazes me the number of grown men I see in these videos that are the same size as my 12 and 15 year old sons. My god what kind of freak genetic soup have I spawned with these boys.

That being said - -fucking A, much respect to you for standing in there with that grinder. Take Rip's advice on the immediate needs but you staying under that thing speaks volumes about you. You are going to succeed. You got the mind set for it. Now is just a matter of getting the mechanics. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    First the ball busting: It amazes me the number of grown men I see in these videos that are the same size as my 12 and 15 year old sons. My god what kind of freak genetic soup have I spawned with these boys.

That being said - -fucking A, much respect to you for standing in there with that grinder. Take Rip's advice on the immediate needs but you staying under that thing speaks volumes about you. You are going to succeed. You got the mind set for it. Now is just a matter of getting the mechanics. Good work.
    Rip, I understand that your advice saved this guy from a lifetime of parking in the convenient blue spots right next to the mall entrance, but does he have to be so goddamned good-natured about it?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll re-watch the press 2.0 video obsessively this weekend and follow up with a form check in the SS Coach's Q&A.