starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I haven't been able to press the last 6 weeks due to a shoulder injury so I'm working my way back up, starting real light. When I review myself on video, I don't think I keep the bar in a straight line but I can't figure out exactly what I'm doing wrong. I also am still figuring out how to use the hips in the movement. Thanks in advance for any critiques.

this is 95 for 5. My last PR in December was 140x5,4,3, but that involved an overextended lumbar, so I'm trying to adhere to SS form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUnZkYxN46w

Video is private.

Sorry about that. Fixed.

You're not using your hips at all. Go watch the Press 2.0 video. I'm not trying to blow you off; you'll get a lot more out of seeing Rip teach the thing. Work on it until you think you've got it right and then post another video.

I figured this was an issue. Will watch the whole thing when I get home from work. Thanks.

I might as well piggy back on this one, if it's okay with Zack. He could possibly benefit from my struggles/progress.

I don't get my press checked very often, but the last time I did, Tom said that I was extending my back more than using my hips. Is this better?

(I tried to grind out an extra rep, and my heels popped off the floor. It's my #1 crutch to try and save a bad rep.)

Laidbackzack,

Here's the video in YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc (in case the Vimeo player doesn't work on your computer). Also, you might want to raise your camera's height next time instead of having it laying on the floor. Elevate it about hips' height, so that we could get a better view.

Nick, your problem is that you are just too damn sexy. That's right, buddy, you are one smooth bearded mofo. You aren't lifting weights in this video. No, you are makin' love and just so happen to be holding a barbell at the same time.

What we see here is a common misunderstanding of our instructions to, "shove the hips out over the toes," or, "reach with the hips." You are not shoving or reaching. You, Nick, are humping or banging or boning or plowing or whatever you call the very sexual hip thrust that's taking place. That's not what we want because pelvic thrusting does not create the stretch and corresponding rebound that makes the bar jump off the chest. It just makes you look like a pervert in the gym, and we can't have that.

So, you've got to make your body rigid from the shoulders to the ankles by locking your knees and squeezing your abs. Imagine you are one solid piece of stiff PVC pipe. When you shove your hips out over your toes the whole pipe bends in a big arch. When your hips reach the end of their stretch, they bounce back towards where they started and the torso slams forward.

In other words, Nick, don't try to use your hips like cool guy who knows how to please the ladies. Use your hips like a guy that has no idea what he's doing; he's just shoving his hips out and praying to god he hits the right spot.

This. Is. The. Greatest form critique in the history of form critiques.

I hear what you're preaching though, and will report back next Monday with (hopefully) a much less sexy hip motion. (It's just hard to turn that shit off...)

Incidentally, if the above press is hot, sweet love, is this one below E.D. or just a full on cockblock?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by workoutnick View Post
    incidentally, if the above press is hot, sweet love, is this one below e.d. Or just a full on cockblock?
    premature e-rack-ulation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast