starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Please delete this thread. I'll post a new one and make sure its working.
    Last edited by kins; 01-29-2014 at 11:26 AM.

You have posted the link to nowhere. Try again.

Ok I guess I will post it in here than,

These are classic high bar squats that are still 2" (at least) above parallel. Have you read the 3rd edition of Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    These are classic high bar squats that are still 2" (at least) above parallel. Have you read the 3rd edition of Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training?
    Yes I have. I especially concentrated on the squat chapter. I've also watched the DVD and a video of the squat on bar position. If the bar is placed any lower it will roll. I believe I do go to parallel, or even lower. Where the bar is now it stays in perfect place while performing the squat. I could go lower but I think I would have to widen my stance a bit, and I already think its a bit too wide.

This is the video about bar position I've watched,

http://www.allthingsgym.com/mark-rip...-bar-position/

There is no way that my bar position is too high. It is the lowest point where it can be carried stably. Watch Marks video and pay particular attention at 4:25. If I placed it any lower it will roll down with each rep. Watch Marks video at 7:07. The bar doesn't move during the set for me. It doesn't ride up and it doesn't "Scoot" down.

If I put the bar any lower it would roll down my back with each rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post

I'm starting on the Bench Press Chapter right now. I've also watched the DVD, and also watched a video on the bar position which I will link. So you think I'm going 2 inches too high?. I'm not sure about that. I've read in the book on page 19, under "Generating Hip Drive", that heels should be about shoulder width apart and toes pointed out about 30 degrees. If you pause my video at 12 seconds in you can see my bottom position and notice that maybe my knees aren't shoved out as much as they could be. My back is at 45 degrees, and does look flat. I'm looking down a few feet at the floor in front of me as described in the book. As I drive up I'm thinking about lifting my butt straight up like in figure 2-14 on page 21 of the book. Still not sure about the depth problem though. As far as the bar position goes, I believe it is in the correct placement. As pointed out in Marks video below, if I put the bar too low it will not stay in place. He says in the video that if the bar is in the correct spot, it will not move and I didn't notice it moving at all during the set. He also says that if it is too high, it would have a tendency to ride up during the set, and I didn't notice that either. I did notice however that it looks like I drop my elbows, but my wrists still look straight. If you watch at 9:22 of Marks video, he shows the incorrect position of the bar in a place that is too low. I'd think if I put the bar any lower it would be in that position.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/mark-rip...-bar-position/

So, just to reiterate, as far as you see the bar is a bit too high?, and I'm not going deep enough?. As far as what I see, maybe I'm not going deep enough, and to correct that I would have to concentrate on shoving my knees out as I perform the eccentric portion of the exercise. Now as far as stance goes I believe I'm wide enough and my heels line up with my shoulders(shoulder width). I think if I went any wider, it would cause the problem on page 19 of Marks book, "An excessively wise stance causes the abductors to reach the end of their extensibility early."

I paused it again at 18 seconds and it shows a good view of the bar placement.

Ok, so to correct this I will try and narrow my stance a bit and bring the bar down a bit further. Maybe I will be able to get lower that way. Thanks for the help.

starting strength coach development program
    Not very patient, are you?

Since you've read the book: your stance is too wide and your toes are not turned out enough. Take the same stance, bring your heels closer together by about an inch. Jam your knees out harder, and drive up out of the bottom with your hips. Your forward knee travel is excessive, looks like by about half an inch. Stop you knees travelling forward just a bit earlier, and sit back and bend over.

As far as bar position goes, it looks high in this video. Could be just fine, there's no way to definitively tell without being in the gym with you.

And yes, your squats are all high. Every one of them.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 02-04-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast