starting strength gym

Thread: Crichton's Press Form Check

Default Crichton's Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Can someone please do a quick check of my press:

https://vimeo.com/87199431

I feel that my form is way better during warmup, but when I get to the 32 kg worksets, my explosive pressing power, speed and form control significantly decrease. Should I lower the weight and train my form or just continue and work on it during the warmups?

Thanks!

Crichton, I don't mean to be an asshole, but when you're pressing 32 kg for your working set weight, you just don't get to refer to your "explosive pressing power." It just doesn't exist yet. At 32kg, I would also say this to a woman. This is not an insult. You will press more and get stronger and hopefully develop great strength. Read this thread when you're done with my reply: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=39539

However, your bar speed and strength are fine at this weight; the technique is the problem. I don't know what your technique looks like at lower weight because I haven't seen it, but these reps show a misunderstanding of the Press 2.0. It's not a lean back then press; it's a reach-n-bounce that creates a rebound, off of which you press. Re-read that section in the book and watch the Press 2.0 platform video: http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...g_to_press_2.0

Also one last thing: it sounds like you're hyperventilating or something prior to each rep. Just take a big breath, hold it, squeeze abs tight, and press.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 02-21-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Yes, "explosive pressing power" was a misnomer, the work reps just felt very slow to me, too slow for the rebound to take effect, or so I felt it. But I think I got what you are trying to tell me. As you sad, working weight will always feel heavy and going up in weight with good but not perfect form is ok, as long as you keep improving.

Regarding the leaning back, I see what you mean, allthough I'm not trying to actively do that, but rather push my hips forward. Gonna keep this in mind during my next workout session and also post some footage of my warmup sets.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by crichton View Post
    Yes, "explosive pressing power" was a misnomer, the work reps just felt very slow to me, too slow for the rebound to take effect, or so I felt it...
    Regarding the leaning back, I see what you mean, allthough I'm not trying to actively do that, but rather push my hips forward. Gonna keep this in mind during my next workout session and also post some footage of my warmup sets.
    They weren't particularly slow, the lack of feeling of rebound was because you weren't actually rebounding. Use the "reach" of the hips to create a bounce - the rebound - off of which you press. As per the book, video, and the great Serge Redding:

Quote Originally Posted by crichton View Post
    As you sad, working weight will always feel heavy and going up in weight with good but not perfect form is ok, as long as you keep improving.
    Exactly. Keep this in mind throughout your training career and you'll make significantly better progress than those who never go up unless everything 'feels' perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Read this thread when you're done with my reply: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=39539
    That's a great thread, and some great videos. Thanks for reposting it!

Quote Originally Posted by mark_nz View Post
    That's a great thread, and some great videos. Thanks for reposting it!
    Wolf, could I ask you to tell me which video is in that link. I cannot access links on threads that are inactive, and it's been a point of curiosity for a few months now.

Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    Wolf, could I ask you to tell me which video is in that link. I cannot access links on threads that are inactive, and it's been a point of curiosity for a few months now.
    There are two videos in that link and I can see them without a problem. I would bet this is some kind of issue on the platform you are using. How do you access the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    There are two videos in that link and I can see them without a problem. I would bet this is some kind of issue on the platform you are using. How do you access the forum?
    iPad, and on a samsung phone. You are probably right.

Embedded videos don't show well on mobile devices. Try "printable version" under "thread tools" above, that might help.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_nz View Post
    Embedded videos don't show well on mobile devices. Try "printable version" under "thread tools" above, that might help.
    Thank you. Worked like a charm.