starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does weight feel heavy and sometimes not?

Currently Memphis, TN. Originally from WI

Default Why does weight feel heavy and sometimes not?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This may be a weird question but I'm wondering why for example with squats a certain weight can feel pretty light one week and the next week the perception changes so that weight feels a lot heavier.

So as an example, last week I performed a working set of squats 365 x 3. It felt fairly easy (meaning I think I could have done more repetions). This week I did squats and when I got to 275 for one of my warmup sets it felt extremely heavy (like a work set). I find this extremely weird because 275 should feel extremely light unless of course there is a layoff for a while.

Is this psychological, physiological or both?

Both psychological and physiological. If there's a recovery issue things will feel more difficult. Part of that is mental, when you feel tired and run down things that should be easy feel hard.

There are lots factors. The first thing I would think about is recovery, was your body in a fresher state for the 365x3? Time of day/food consumption is another thing to look at. For example, I am strongest in the late morning after having several cups of coffee and a couple pieces of toast with peanut butter.

So if there are physiological factors going on that are making it feel heavy (such as lack of sleep etc) do you continue with the normal weight you had planned or do you cut back for that workout?

It's because the earth is flat and gravity is variable. You're being lied to, sheeple!

I know the feeling. On Monday I put 120lbs on my back and was like oh man, this weighs a ton. I struggled to stand up. Then I put 150 on my back and I was like hmm, this doesn't feel that bad. I just ignore those subjective feelings of heavy or light. They are just my mind playing tricks on me. Heavy is when you actually truly can't stand up again.

Quote Originally Posted by 212019156 View Post
    So if there are physiological factors going on that are making it feel heavy (such as lack of sleep etc) do you continue with the normal weight you had planned or do you cut back for that workout?
    There is no right answer to this question, as I see it you have 3 options:
    1. Do a program that allows for daily fluctuations, such as 5/3/1 (the last set has a prescribed minimum number of reps that should be easy)
    2. Have a flexible workout schedule so that you can take an extra rest day if necessary (I did this towards the end of my run on linear programming).
    3. Have a fixed workout schedule where you adjust the rest of your life so that you are good to go on training days (this is what I do now). This method works better the fewer days per week you train.

I am from WI too and know someone who moved to TN recently are your initials JH?

Dudes, Sully covered this some time ago; it's all about spunkamine levels.

"Neuromuscular Fatigue (n.): a condition in which a variable and subjectively-determined level of training intensity and volume have depleted presynaptic and synaptic cleft concentrations of spunkamine. Spunkamine is a catechol neurotransmitter that mediates a number of critical higher brain functions, particularly determination, fortitude, resilience, commitment, perception of gonadal size, and self-respect. Spunkamine is found exclusively in the neocortex, in areas involved with attention, imagination, and self-loathing. Motor end-plate neurotransmitter concentrations, nerve conduction velocities, motor unit recruitment and high-energy phosphate levels and myophysiology are unaffected in this disorder. This tragic condition is the subject of intensive research, particularly by franchise fitness facilities, supplement manufacturers, and personal injury attorneys. "http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=41407&page=1

My name is Jeff Allen. Moved from Madison WI to Memphis metro area back in 2009. I miss Wisconsin but not the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Notrhwoods View Post
    There is no right answer to this question, as I see it you have 3 options:
    1. Do a program that allows for daily fluctuations, such as 5/3/1 (the last set has a prescribed minimum number of reps that should be easy)
    2. Have a flexible workout schedule so that you can take an extra rest day if necessary (I did this towards the end of my run on linear programming).
    3. Have a fixed workout schedule where you adjust the rest of your life so that you are good to go on training days (this is what I do now). This method works better the fewer days per week you train.

I am from WI too and know someone who moved to TN recently are your initials JH?

starting strength coach development program
    I can relate to this. Since I'm getting older and my joints get tweaked more easily now, I'm hesitant to ignore those sorts of feelings as I'm nearing 400 lbs for working sets on squats.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I know the feeling. On Monday I put 120lbs on my back and was like oh man, this weighs a ton. I struggled to stand up. Then I put 150 on my back and I was like hmm, this doesn't feel that bad. I just ignore those subjective feelings of heavy or light. They are just my mind playing tricks on me. Heavy is when you actually truly can't stand up again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast