starting strength gym

Thread: Sincere Thanks

Default Sincere Thanks

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark, i just found this site and would like to post some info about me for two reasons, one just to sincerely thank you for the effort you've put in to teach people how to get big and strong and secondly to show other newcomers that pretty much anyone can get bigger and stronger if they have the dedication to do so.

I started 3 years ago, going to one of those horrible commercial gyms using 'bodypart' splits (how can you isolate body 'parts'?!) before finding out about starting strength. I purchased the book and started the routine standing at a huge 6`3 and 150lbs! In the 3 years since starting using your methods, both the novice program and following on with the texas method up until this point here is what happened.

I gained 100lbs of solid weight, sure i put on some fat but who cares, six packs are for wimps with 13 inch arms and a 200lbs squat.

My lifts went from:

Squat-90lbs
    Bench-90lbs
    Deadlift-110lbs

To most recently:

Squat-470lbs
    Bench-385lbs
    Deadlift-525lbs

So there you have it, strength training is not some complex magical thing, if you've got the balls to put in some real dedication and train hard and smart and not be a pussy when it comes to things as stupid as fat gain then you will see the results you want.
    Diet wise i consumed around 5-6000 calories a day including the GOMAD along with 4 large meals, just as a rough example these are what they'd look like.

Breakfast:

6 Whole Eggs
    4 Slices Toast
    2 Bananas
    4 Slices Real Bacon
    4 Hash Browns
    2 Sausage Patties

Lunch:

1 Tin Tuna
    4 Slices Bread
    4 Chicken Wings
    Fruit
    Nuts

Dinner:

500g Steak
    200g Pasta
    Veg

Before Bed:

200g Oats
    2 Chicken Breasts

Sorry for droning on i just get fed up of seeing novices on numerous sites complaining about being small and weak when they're absolute pussies when it comes to eating and lifting heavy shit.

Train hard and prosper.

I think the biggest part of the problem is that the program is too simple and straightforward. I mean, how could it work if anyone can understand it? That runs contrary to what everyone with certification letters after their name on a business card tells you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think the biggest part of the problem is that the program is too simple and straightforward. I mean, how could it work if anyone can understand it? That runs contrary to what everyone with certification letters after their name on a business card tells you.
    exactly. when i get my friends on this program they ALWAYS want to add exercises or sets or something. they have to rest at least 3-4 minutes between heavy sets and want to go over and do situps or lower back extensions or arms or some shit in between.

i force them to stay put, and eventually they get used to it. i think the problem is people can't really appreciate the value of increasing the weight on the big lifts each time you enter a gym. the media has ingrained the idea that you have to be out of breath and sweating when you leave a gym. they care too much about being "worn out" or getting a "good workout". to me, a good workout is when i broke a pr. i dont give a shit if my biceps want to explode or not at the end of it.

Absolutely agree, people are so obsessed with getting a 'pump' or working muscles from different angles etc that they remain weak as a kitten with aids and as thin as a rake year after year. I look at my friends with disdain when they ask what my 'secret' is, i merely tell them it's heavy barbell training and lots of good whole food, train with them a few times then lo and behold a week later i see them doing endless curls and machine presses etc. Guess some people are genuinely THAT retarded.

"the idea that you have to be out of breath and sweating when you leave a gym. they care too much about being "worn out" or getting a "good workout""

CF can have the same effect. "5x3, is that really a work out, there's no way I'll meet pukie on that one"

CF is generally good and I like it, and that sentiment usually comes from beginners but it drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrube View Post
    \ the media has ingrained the idea that you have to be out of breath and sweating when you leave a gym. they care too much about being "worn out" or getting a "good workout".
    i feel like dying when i do 5x5 squats. that's just the first exercise.

starting strength coach development program
    The program is easy, it's the eating that's hard. Look at the breakfast this guy is eating - He's got to be over 2000 calories at breakfast alone (and that doesn't take the milk into account). How many people are even capable of eating this much for breakfast - and of the ones who can do it, how many actually will do it? I know my biggist struggle is eating big every day. I look forward to the lifting, but often dread the eating.