starting strength gym

Thread: Flat back and barbell training

Default Flat back and barbell training

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

Let me start by saying thanks for the great work you provided with your books. I'm on starting strength for 3 weeks now and I'm making more progress now than in all the time I spent in the gym before, mostly doing 10-rep-programs.

Yet I have two entirely unrelated questions:

1)
    My spine has a malformation in that the thoratic part does not show the normal kyphosis ("flat back"). I started seeing a physiotherapist for treatment of some shoulder pain (which might or might not have anything to do with the spinal malformation - final diagnosis still pending).
    She suggested to me that when doing strength excercise, the "chest up"-cue might not be very beneficial for me, as it reinforces the wrong position of the spine, specifically in relation to the shoulder blades. She said I should pull the shoulder blader down, but not lift the chest.
    I'm not quite sure what to make of that recommendation, especially since they don't really teach heavy barbell training in physiotherapists school..
    Any insight from your side would be highly appreciated!

2)
    My girlfriend wants to get a gym membership for the next three months only. While her main focus is cardio-workout, I inspired her to do at least squats. She also found some interest in the deadlift, while the presses don't appeal to her at all. My question is: Would she build up a muscular imbalance of the posterior to the anterior chain by only squatting 3 times per week and maybe deadlifting once?

Thanks a lot for your time,
    Philip

1. That advice demonstrates that the poor therapist doesn't know what the scapulas actually do, what muscles do it, and why. Sorry about your t-spine, I think it will be okay, but that doesn't mean that the mechanics of force transfer from back to arms gets to change.

2. You think that squats lack a sufficient PC component so that they need to be balanced out by more frequent deadlifting? We deadlift novices more frequently than 1:3, but that's not why. Read the book.

Thanks Rip,
    I'm relieved that what the therapist said was just BS!

On the second question I'm sorry that I wasn't clear enough.
    I actually read the book and am aware that the Squat and the Deadlift are dominant on the posterior chain.
    That's why I asked if one would be working into an imbalance by leaving the presses out!

Philip

Do you mean that her posterior chain would get stronger than her upper body if she doesn't press? WTF are you talking about?

Well, let me rephrase again.
    The squat and the deadlift will develop not only strong legs and hips, but also will strengthen the back.
    So the question is: Will someone who only squats and deadlifts, and thus fails to develop strength in shoulder and chest, create a situation in which the antagonists of the upper body become unequal to a degree that postural deficiencies may develop.

Maybe I should stop asking these questions and just convince her to do the damn presses as well

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, do that.