starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Question

Default Squat Question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Coach,
    For a long time I have been trying to get it exactly as you describe it in the book but have noticed a problem. While everything else seems right, my right knee would either cave inwards or my right foot would rotate away from my body(creating a bigger angle than suggested in the book). However, I have just recently noticed something. It seems as if my right knee and foot aren't aligned to track properly (I have noticed this while walking to, my left foot and knee will be straight, but my right foot is pointing slightly outward while my right knee points forward). That is to say, if I go down to squat and want my knee to go to the right place, my foot cant possibly not rotate out. My question is this:While squatting, should I allow my foot to rotate or my knee to cave in? To me, the slightly increased foot angle seems like the more logical answer, but I wanted to check. Thanks.

And don't worry, the vasectomy is already scheduled.

Nice advanced planning, very responsible of you. If your knees stay symmetrical when your feet are pointed asymmetrically, then this stance will be required if you are to keep your hips symmetrical. Do that.

I'd first guess that's it's some mobility issue than some genetic defect. I see tons of people walking around daily with their feet turned out. I used to have the same problem you described above. I fixed it in a couple ways:

1. General increase of flexibility, especially in the hips and the ankle. I did a lot of stretching.
    2. I forced myself to not have my feet turn out when I squat. This also resulted in a pretty big stretch for the hips, especially the adductors/hamstrings.
    3. While walking, I forced myself to point my toes forward.

Now I'm fine. However, I started out as a rail-thin kid who was sedentary for 7 straight years: some serious mobility deficits existed there. I'd try various stretching (ankle, upper back, and hip mobility) and simply forcing yourself to move correctly to the best of your ability before chalking it up to an inherently structural defect.