starting strength gym

Thread: When to use Belt and Knee wraps?

Default When to use Belt and Knee wraps?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Now that I've finally got to 2x bodyweight on my dead and 1.5x on my squat (Yes I know I'm weak but it feels heavy to me) I'm starting to think that it might be time to invest in a belt.

The NSCA appears to recommend the belt for lifts >80%. I've got no clue about recommendations on when it's time to start with wraps and I don't imparticularily trust the NCSA. I also don't imparticularily trust my own judgement either, although I'm tempted to belt and wrap for doubles and singles.

What are your general recommendations?

... and as a follow up question, Do you forsee writing any articles on transitioning from novice to intermediate lifting? I kind of miss having new Rippetoe things to read and I've already bought all your books.

Greater than 80% of what? Of a novices third workout work set weight? See why these things are important, and why blanket recommendations based on % of 1RM are useless? If you think you are getting ready for a belt, get a belt. You know more about this than the NSCA.

And my time recently has not permitted article writing. Damned board posts. Maybe I should turn them into a book.

thanks, as always.
    It would take some serious editing but your advice posts have plenty of publishable content.

It has taken a lot of editing, true.

I'm a bit on the fence with it myself. I've started using a belt when generally over 400lbs, but not always. Knee wraps are about the same but I may compete in the 100% RAW meets next year and they don't allow anything but vitamins and whey. And they have some big dawgs pulling big iron with no problems - afaik, all of them. Wraps may be overrated.
    And it's squats, SLDL's, and deads that healed my bad back. Without gear.

Mr Rippetoe,

Do have your olympic lifters wear a powerlifting ring belt, you know the ones that are made of thick leather, covered in suede, and 4" wide all the way around?

I notice most oly lifters wear a less thick belt, which is 2" at the front, and 4" at the back. I know you admonish these in SS, but that was for squats.

What's you opinion on belts for olympic lifting?
    And do the same rules for belt wearing apply?

starting strength coach development program
    Most modern Olympic lifters prefer a lighter velcro belt that doesn't interfere with the setup position of the pull. We tend to use them for the C&J and not the snatch, although my back injuries suggest that I wear one for both.