starting strength gym

Thread: Thank You

Default Thank You

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

You don't need to post this; I know you read these before they go up. You're program has literally been a life-saver for me. My wife of two years is currently battling her 3rd occurrence of a skull based tumor. She's supposed to be having surgery within the next three weeks. When the stress of all of this gets to me I go squat. When people ask me about my work outs my explanation is clear, "It is impossible to think about the fact that your wife has cancer when you squat; all you think is 'fuck this is heavy."

I've added weight across all my lifts and will continue to become stronger and more useful as I get a shit-ton more food down and add 20 pounds. Thank You.

You're welcome. I'm just paying off the same debt you now have to the iron.

Default Thanks for posting this

In his post the OP said you don't have to post this. Well, thanks for posting this. That's one of the most inspiring things I've read in a long time. I can't wait to get home (I'm working on the road) and back under the bar.

I would like to add more to this rather insightful thread from a guy that is obviously going through a very stressful time in his life.

I too have learnt a tremendous amount about things in general being under the bar. This topic has often come up in the wee hours of the morning after many drinks with some of my close friends. But they never quiet understood.

I would not mind sharing some observations about my training that i think has carried over into my everyday life. I hope these help others as they have helped me:

- Sometimes we need to take a few steps back to continue going forward.
    - Change is not a bad thing, its usually required to make progress.
    - Do not be scared to do something you have never done before, you should always try first, reassess later and try again if you failed.
    - We often have to do things that we are scared to do, but once we do them, we realise it really wasnt that scary after all.
    - Progress in life comes in small steps and we must persist with those small steps to reach our goals.
    - There is no substitute for hard work.

For the average joe blow these are just words, but when your staring at an oscillated bar in a squat rack that you havent unracked yet for fear of killing yourself, you realise that its much more than words, its a way of life.