starting strength gym

Thread: Older Trainee With Medical Issues

Default Older Trainee With Medical Issues

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Coach,

I have had some success in training my Mum and currently working with my girlfriend. Everything going really well, quality of life really improving.

My Father is in his mid-50s and he is around the 17stone (238lbs) mark. He has been medically retired since 1997 with an incurable condition called Pyoderma Gangernosum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyoderma_gangrenosum (safe-link though pictures are not nice). His body is pretty much wrecked from all the insane drugs they tested on him, but the doc has said he needs to stop smoking and loose some weight as he is at risk.

The main problem is that the ulcer is on his foot and he is hardly able to walk that well, never mind put any load on it. Years ago he was refered to the gym, but that didn't last too long for him. He is not able to deal with the pressure on his foot from squating or deadlifting, and as I said his body is a wreck.

In this circumstance what would the best alternatives be. Is he destined to the machines at the gym? I'd love to see him down in my garage.

I guess that bottle of Islay never arrived. Please check your PM, got a gift cert instead for you instead from the whisky shop usa. Just a small thank you for giving me the inspiration to train, and then help those I really care about.

Sorry about your dad. A guy that young that won't quit smoking is a guy that's not trying very hard, in probably several ways. If the disease is an immune disorder, behavior that suppresses immune function is not helping. It would be interesting to see what a clean diet, stopping tobacco, better sleep, and even some exercise would do for this condition. I am assuming the foot ulcer is plantar, and there is little he can do with barbells as a result. Bad deal to have to watch. I know.

As for the malt, I haven't seen it and that is a damn shame. I don't think the postal boys want it mailed, and it may have something to do with the State of Texas protecting me from the evils of Alcohol. I'll let you know if it ever gets here, but I can't track it from this end.