starting strength gym

Thread: First Rep Failure Question

Post First Rep Failure Question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I failed reps for the first time today. Started SS back on July 14. I'm not terribly disappointed in missing the reps, more pissed off.

I just joined a new gym that opened last week (its not really a gym, rather a health club, but they have what I need and the wife and kids like the pool and other crap). Anyway, part of the problem is that while they have the free weights and squat rack already, they don't have 2.5# plates yet. They say they are back ordered and should be here shortly.

Unfortunately, that means that last week I had to jump my squat 10# between Monday and Wednesday. I barely got my 3x5 on Wednesday so I kept my weight the same (225) on Friday and got those. So today, I bumped my weight again by 10 pounds to 235. Got the first set of 5, but then only got 4 and 2 reps on the next two sets. So my question is, on Wednesday, should I try the 235 again or go back down to the 225 and try 235 again on Friday (assuming the 2.5# plates haven't shown up yet)?

I also had to raise my bench by 10# to 195, but I barely missed one rep so I'll stick with that weight for Friday.

cutlet# Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson317 View Post
    I failed reps for the first time today. Started SS back on July 14. I'm not terribly disappointed in missing the reps, more pissed off.

I just joined a new gym that opened last week (its not really a gym, rather a health club, but they have what I need and the wife and kids like the pool and other crap). Anyway, part of the problem is that while they have the free weights and squat rack already, they don't have 2.5# plates yet. They say they are back ordered and should be here shortly.

Unfortunately, that means that last week I had to jump my squat 10# between Monday and Wednesday. I barely got my 3x5 on Wednesday so I kept my weight the same (225) on Friday and got those. So today, I bumped my weight again by 10 pounds to 235. Got the first set of 5, but then only got 4 and 2 reps on the next two sets. So my question is, on Wednesday, should I try the 235 again or go back down to the 225 and try 235 again on Friday (assuming the 2.5# plates haven't shown up yet)?

I also had to raise my bench by 10# to 195, but I barely missed one rep so I'll stick with that weight for Friday.
    When you miss reps, you have to go back and start from scratch with an empty bar.

you try and get more reps with 235 for three workouts if you fail to get the reps you reset

Hey Anderson,

Buy your own 2.5 plates if needed, and while at it get 1.25 pound plates also which few gyms carry and many people find valuable. Carry in your gym bag. Rogue carries 1.25 lbs, or ivanko plates off ebay/amazon are popular and excellent. 2.5 lbs plates are available at almost any sport shop and will likely be $1/lbs or less. This is a problem solved with $5.

Quote Originally Posted by nated1 View Post
    Hey Anderson,

Buy your own 2.5 plates if needed, and while at it get 1.25 pound plates also which few gyms carry and many people find valuable. Carry in your gym bag. Rogue carries 1.25 lbs, or ivanko plates off ebay/amazon are popular and excellent. 2.5 lbs plates are available at almost any sport shop and will likely be $1/lbs or less. This is a problem solved with $5.
    If you're going to get plates <2.5# (which you should), get them from forum user Dan Miller. You get a complete, very nice set for $30 delivered anywhere in the US. Send him a PM and he'll send you his PayPal information.

Also weigh collars. I use collars for 1.5 and 3lb jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    If you're going to get plates <2.5# (which you should), get them from forum user Dan Miller. You get a complete, very nice set for $30 delivered anywhere in the US. Send him a PM and he'll send you his PayPal information.
    There are also enough plates in the set to get 5 lb. jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    When you miss reps, you have to go back and start from scratch with an empty bar.
    Root, I was thinking of just killing myself, but this seems a little less drastic.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on more reps and getting my own small plate set.

starting strength coach development program
    Here's my thread where I describe the plates: Microplates