starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back injury without pain?

Default Lower back injury without pain?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach and all,

Injured my lower back recently. I was making good progress on a new clean PR. Managed 97kg (+7kg PR) with tons of height to spare so I took a couple stabs at 100kg (+10kg) but missed those. No biggie ... left the gym with a new back squat PR and clean PR. A good day and no ill effects noticed at the time.

Later that night I was bent over (rounded lower back) undoing my motorcycle boots and my lower back "did something". I'm going to use the word "spasm" but I have no idea if that is actually the problem. That's just the word that comes to mind.

The issue only manifests when rounding the lower back (e.g., picking up my gigantic mini Dachshund without proper lifting technique). No pain or discomfort when it happens or any other time. Just an odd sensation that I'm calling "spasm".

I'm booking appts with my GP and physio but any input is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mark

GP didn't have a lot to add. Agreed that it sounded like muscle spasm and recommended physio. I have an assessment booked with my physio for next Tuesday. In the meantime I've been sticking to mobility work, light power cleans and some abs. I suspect physio will same the same... muscle spasm, perhaps prescribe some specific work to improve lower back strength. Otherwise I expect the results to be "slow, steady, smart rebuild to peak performance."

Back injury without pain? Wouldn't worry about it. Just get your form checked to see what your back is doing.

Physio assessment this AM. Symptoms point to a joint issue since there is no pain. Prognosis: All is well. 2-3 sessions of manual therapy with the physio, some "homework" exercises to get the low back moving, slow-steady-smart rebuilding of my lifts. I should be back in PR territory in relatively short order.