starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach,
    Could you please take a look at my deadlift form? I injured myself due to a rounded back during a 300lb pull and am slowly working my way back. I knew I had a back extension problem but I believe I fixed it now, but the thought of that injury still haunts me for every rep. Can you please tell me if my form is okay, especially on the heavy set at 255? I needed a peace of mind before going heavy again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfxvUhA1l-U

One last thing, I felt a somewhat of a click in my lowerback during the heavy set, as I lock out. Is that due to a somewhat backward dip as I lock out. It's not serious but I was wondering if it's indicative of something serious.

Much appreciated

Look at your bar path on especially the last set. Watch the end of the bar move up and tell me what you see.

It looks like it's moving backward, I thought it was just camera angle playing tricks on me but it does look kinda abrupt. On the heavy set it also looks like there's a horizontal curve as I lock out.

Is this a problem with the starting angle?

Yes, and the starting bar position. Review this material.

I will get on it for sure.

Just a wild guess before I look into the book tonight, is the bar too far away from my shin? I do try to keep it as close as possible but I guess the moment I lift, it voluntarily shifts. I was wondering why I never get bloody shins anyways.

I also think my supinated hand, the right hand, caused the horizontal rotation of the bar on the heavy set. Will varying the hand position on the bar fix this?

Thanks for your help.
    I'm a lot more motivated to go heavy again now!

Your ass is too low, so both your knees and your supine hand are pushing the bar forward. That's why you see it coming back in at the start of the pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdilEha4yoc

Is this a better set? I raised my hip up and I think my scapula is where it should be however the bar path still looks funky, now it kinda of rolls forward a bit and then back. Maybe I have my shoulder too much forward?

starting strength coach development program
    The bar is rolling forward at the start now because your knees are shoving it forward as you start the pull. Your hips aren't really dropping, but your heels are coming up a tiny bit. Keep your weight centered over your mid-foot when you pull and this will go away. Think about pushing your mid-foot into the floor, the part right under the bar.